Windows 2000 on a Acer Aspire One AO532h

You can take the HDD out of the notebook, connect it to an another computer and install Win2k on it there. After that you can put it back. Of course it would be the easiest if you used IDE mode.

It's a very unrecommended way but in fact works. I've practiced it myself :whistle: It's the third mainboard I'm using with the same system.

I've found a computer quite recent to install Windows 2K without getting that error, but, before doing this (since I have so many data on the hard drive), I have copied a Windows 2000 installation from an old computer and I have putted it on the partition D: of my hard drive, then I've edited the boot.ini.

When Win 2K is loading, it still gets the 0x0000007B error, but with a different code (0xF681B84C, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Is there a solution about this error with a different code?

Edited by Agorima

I've successfully transferred the system on my computer between three different motherboards, each of them having a different chipset. I used the same SAS controller to which the system HDD was connected though. That's why I asked Agorima to use the IDE mode if the chipsets were different...

Did you use IDE mode in both cases? You should use IDE mode when installing the system on a different computer and then also use IDE mode in the netbook.

Edited by tomasz86

Different chipsets between the two? If so, then you get the x7b.

I'm beginning to hate my chipset.

I've successfully transferred the system on my computer between three different motherboards, each of them having a different chipset. I used the same SAS controller to which the system HDD was connected though. That's why I asked Agorima to use the IDE mode if the chipsets were different...

Did you use IDE mode in both cases? You should use IDE mode when installing the system on a different computer and then also use IDE mode in the netbook.

I didn't install Windows 2000 on my second partition. I've just copied and pasted the files of the system already installed on the old computer, that uses IDE mode (the motherboard is from 2001).

The error still exist in IDE mode, in my netbook. Probably the system don't have the drivers to use the hard disk controller, hence the different code of the error.

Definitely i must do what you have said five days ago.

What has been added/updated into the Service Pack 3 of Windows XP to works fine with the netbooks, even without the driver of the chipset/controller and in IDE mode? It's a mistery for me.

Edited by Agorima

The IDE driver should be the same in both cases unless you installed different IDE drivers in the old system. Does your old system use M$ default IDE drivers or 3rd party ones?

The IDE driver should be the same in both cases unless you installed different IDE drivers in the old system. Does your old system use M$ default IDE drivers or 3rd party ones?

If I remember correctly, the old system use the default IDE drivers.

Are you 100% sure? It's important because in the past 3rd party IDE drivers provided by chipset manufacturers were pretty common.

I don't have the computer turned on, so I'm not 100% sure. But I'm sure that I've done nothing special to install windows 2000.

Edited by Agorima

I have checked now the old system. Under Device Manager, it shows three IDE controllers

"Primary Channel IDE"

"Secondary Channel IDE"

"Controller IDE Via Bus Master"

The files are, viewing the details of the last controller, "atapi.sys", "pciide.sys", "pciidex.sys".

What I must do?

Edited by Agorima

What I must do?

This is the old system/Computer? It has Via IDE Drivers in it. You need Intel IDE Drivers.

Yes. It's an AMD Athlon XP 1700+, with 192 Mb of Ram and 6 Gb of space on HDD.

I think that the generic IDE driver should works fine.

Edited by Agorima

I didn't install Windows 2000 on my second partition. I've just copied and pasted the files of the system already installed on the old computer
You will have to get that Via Driver out of the "image". It is what's clobbering you! I'm not sure if you can boot to Safe Mode (can't remember - too busy to check) and Uninstall it then Reboot and let it find the Intel Driver. The change between one Chipset and another won't work. You may even have a "Machine" (basic Chipset Drivers) problem. The only cure is to In-Place Upgrade.

The Via Drivers are NOT Default! They are 3d Party (as you were told). They do NOT come (AFAIKR) with unmodified Win2k.

(feel free to correct me, tomasz86)

I didn't install Windows 2000 on my second partition. I've just copied and pasted the files of the system already installed on the old computer
You will have to get that Via Driver out of the "image". It is what's clobbering you! I'm not sure if you can boot to Safe Mode (can't remember - too busy to check) and Uninstall it then Reboot and let it find the Intel Driver. The change between one Chipset and another won't work. You may even have a "Machine" (basic Chipset Drivers) problem. The only cure is to In-Place Upgrade.

The Via Drivers are NOT Default! They are 3d Party (as you were told). They do NOT come (AFAIKR) with unmodified Win2k.

(feel free to correct me, tomasz86)

Is the In-Place Upgrade "install the system from CD-Rom"? If so, I can not do it. I can not solve the problem where it begins. If I try to install Win 2K through the external DVD drive, I'll get the 0x0000007b error.

Yes, the VIA drivers are definitely unwanted when you move the HDD... but isn't it the M$ default IDE driver which is needed, not the one from Intel?

Although I have selected the "PCI Ide controller" I see always the blue screen. Moreover, I cannot copy "default", "software", "sam", "security" and "system" from the old computer.

I think that I'll extract my HDD and install Win 2K from the recent computer, that mounts an Intel Pentium processor.

Edited by Agorima

I have checked now the old system. Under Device Manager, it shows three IDE controllers

"Primary Channel IDE"

"Secondary Channel IDE"

The files are, viewing the details of the last controller, "atapi.sys", "pciide.sys", "pciidex.sys".

PCIIDE is the generic IDE driver already.

However you have to set generic HardwareID PCI\CC_0101 too.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314082/en-us

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\primary_ide_channel]
"ClassGUID"="{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"
"Service"="atapi"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\secondary_ide_channel]
"Service"="atapi"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\*pnp0600]
"Service"="atapi"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\gendisk]
"ClassGUID"="{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"
"Service"="disk"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#cc_0101]
"Service"="pciide"