blank file icons

Asp

I can't see anything strange in the logs. The errors you can see at the beginning are the "standard" one always present in these logfiles.

I wonder whether the problem with Tapin Radio may be related to this one. Could you try to open a website in IE6 and right-click on it?

IE seems okay, though I never used it and deleted the shortcuts.

I found it at c:\winnt\system32\dllcache\iexplore.exe

That runs and reports itself as version 6.0.2800.1106

Is that correct?

No right-click problems I can find.

Yes, iexplore.exe is the IE6 launcher. Actually you can just input a http:// address in Windows Explorer and it will work from there too. That's one of the reasons IE is said to be integrated in Windows :whistle:

Could you try to launch Tapin in Safe Mode? Is it still the same? Also could you create a new user account and check if the situation is the same there too? Let's try some basics solutions before implementing something more serious.

Edit: I think I've found the culprit! Before doing anything else could you tell me what CPU is used in your machine?

Edited by tomasz86

IE seems okay, though I never used it and deleted the shortcuts.

I found it at c:\winnt\system32\dllcache\iexplore.exe

:wacko::blink: It's not anywhere else? It SHOULD be also in "Program Files\Internet Explorer"! What else did you "delete"/remove? Edited by submix8c

Yes, iexplore.exe is the IE6 launcher. Actually you can just input a http:// address in Windows Explorer and it will work from there too. That's one of the reasons IE is said to be integrated in Windows :whistle:

Could you try to launch Tapin in Safe Mode? Is it still the same? Also could you create a new user account and check if the situation is the same there too? Let's try some basics solutions before implementing something more serious.

Edit: I think I've found the culprit! Before doing anything else could you tell me what CPU is used in your machine?

Still fails in safe mode.

CPU is AMD. Here's the system spec:

Windows:            	Windows 2000 5.0 (Build 2195) Service Pack 4
Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106
Memory (RAM): 1024 MB
CPU: AMD Athlon(TM) XP 1700+
CPU Speed: 1228.8 MHz
Sound card: C-Media Wave Device
Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 | NetMeeting driver
Screen Resolution: 1280 X 1024 - 32 bit
:
Network Adapters: Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
CD / DVD Drives: X: Compaq DVD-ROM DVD-117 | Y: HL-DT-STDVDRAM GSA-4160B
:
COM Ports: COM3 | COM1 | COM2
LPT Ports: LPT1
Mouse: 3 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 31.2GB | D: 31.2GB | E: 86.6GB | F: 31.2GB | G: 31.2GB | H: 85.0GB | I: 83.0GB | J: 2.4GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 25.9GB | D: 23.6GB | E: 25.6GB | F: 31.2GB | G: 31.2GB | H: 72.2GB | I: 27.5GB | J: 2.4GB
USB Controllers: 5 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): Not Detected
:
Manufacturer: Award Software, Inc.
Product Make: System Name
:
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: ATAT COMPATIBLE 043003 Award Modular BIOS v60
Time Zone: China Standard Time
Battery: No Battery
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7S333
Modem: HCF 56K PCI Modem

It's not anywhere else? It SHOULD be also in "Program Files\Internet Explorer"! What else did you "delete"/remove?

Yeah, it's there too. I had assumed, knowing it was integrated in Windows, that it was in the Windows directory, with things like Windows Write, and first searched from there down. If I hadn't found it I would have looked beyond that.

All I deleted were the shortcuts. As I said.

Edited by Asp

I've been preparing UURollup-v11 where a few bugs will be fixed. I hope the one discussed here too. As this seems to be your main system I won't suggest trying out a test version of it as it may be risky but if you do want to try it out then please send me a PM. Otherwise I'll let you know when UURollup-v11 final is ready.

I've been preparing UURollup-v11 where a few bugs will be fixed. I hope the one discussed here too. As this seems to be your main system I won't suggest trying out a test version of it as it may be risky but if you do want to try it out then please send me a PM. Otherwise I'll let you know when UURollup-v11 final is ready.

While annoying, the weird icons and the loss of Tapin aren't critical, and yes, I do need this for my work, so I can't afford the downtime if it gets trashed.

So I don't want to run a beta, but will wait for UU11 proper.

Any idea when that will be?

I've just released UURollup-v10a. Could you try it and tell me if any of the issues are fixed? :)

Edit: UURollup-v10b has been released.

Edited by tomasz86

I've just released UURollup-v10a. Could you try it and tell me if any of the issues are fixed? :)

Edit: UURollup-v10b has been released.

I got 10a, and Tapin Radio now runs again, thanks.

The original icon problem is unchanged, but that's cosmetic.

( I tried resetting the association and also rebuilt the icons.)

Could you try to install v10b? There was a bug in the v10a installer which prevented the new shell32.dll from being installed.

Edit: And please check version of shell32.dll after installing UURollup-v10b.

Edited by tomasz86

Does the problem happen when you use 16-bit icons too?

May you try to set the display mode to 16 bit colours in Desktop Properties while also changing this registry setting:

HKCU,"Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics","Shell Icon BPP"

from "32" to "16" (reboot is required)?

Edited by tomasz86