Direct integration of KB2564958 and KB2661637 (WinXP)

Explorer09

In the current version of nLite, it will complain that it cannot directly integrate the updates KB2564958 and KB2661637, and will try to use the regular integration methods. However, I have a way to directly integrate both of them.

The reason nLite will not directly integrate these updates is because they have files not present on the Windows XP CD. But nLite can accept these if I convert them into add-ons.

So I made two add-ons for these updates. They work with the English version of Windows XP (x86).

Update: I've removed the Microsoft binaries. And the script will work with updates of any language. The only binaries needed are: Cabarc.exe, WindowsXP-KB2564958-x86-XXX.exe, and WindowsXP-KB2661637-x86-XXX.exe

Second update (2013-10-06): Attachment WindowsXP-KB2661637-x86.zip removed. Please use the updated version attached in the last post.

WindowsXP-KB2564958-x86.zip

Edited by Explorer09

Nice but I don't think they will allow you to redistribute MS binaries here. ;) Take a look at my UDC or Flash script on how to let a script download the update and turn it into an add-on.

HFSLIP can slipstream these updates directly without actually needing to modify anything. Just put them in HF and run the script. That's why HFSLIP is so much better than nLite (in the aspect of integrating updates).

I've updated my script. No Microsoft binaries this time. But...

HFSLIP can slipstream these updates directly without actually needing to modify anything. Just put them in HF and run the script. That's why HFSLIP is so much better than nLite (in the aspect of integrating updates).

HFSLIP misses some registry entries when integrating KB2564958.

There seems to be an error in the

cabarc -p -m

command. Apparently, if you use -m, you additionally have to specify MSZIP or NONE. I changed LZX:21 to NONE and now it's fine. So, the command now is

cabarc -p -m NONE N .......

Cheers

There seems to be an error in the

cabarc -p -m

command. Apparently, if you use -m, you additionally have to specify MSZIP or NONE. I changed LZX:21 to NONE and now it's fine. So, the command now is

cabarc -p -m NONE N .......

Cheers

It isn't an error.

nLite can extract cabinets compressed with LZX algorithm. I prefer LZX because it often has better compression with MSZIP. This doesn't affect the slipstreamed disc, though.

A small misunderstanding, most of it on my part for not expressing myself clearly; when I said there was an error, I meant that it wasn't working.

So, I opened the batch file, turned ECHO on and used sleep.exe it to see what was going on; the -m switch in combination with LZX wasn't working. It unpacked the update, jumped through this critical step and went to cleaning up.

Then I found the reference to cabarc.exe on Technet and it said it supported the other two additional arguments to -m I mentioned in my previous post. This is the reason I suggested them.

I hope all is clear now.

Cheers

A small misunderstanding, most of it on my part for not expressing myself clearly; when I said there was an error, I meant that it wasn't working.

So, I opened the batch file, turned ECHO on and used sleep.exe it to see what was going on; the -m switch in combination with LZX wasn't working. It unpacked the update, jumped through this critical step and went to cleaning up.

Then I found the reference to cabarc.exe on Technet and it said it supported the other two additional arguments to -m I mentioned in my previous post. This is the reason I suggested them.

That's strange. It worked for me. I use Cabarc 5.1.2600.0.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this old thread, because I found a bug in my "direct integration" method of KB2661637 (iacenc.dll).

When upgrading (or re-installing) Windows XP, the integrated installer might try to overwrite the existing iacenc.dll. And the update wasn't supposed to do that.

I've uploaded a new add-on script that fixes this problem. See the attachment WindowsXP-KB2661637-x86-20131006.zip

--- entries_old.txt     2013-10-06 15:56:21.796875000 +0800+++ entries.txt 2013-10-06 15:54:33.843750000 +0800@@ -1,5 +1,5 @@ [txtsetup_files]-iacenc.dll = 100,,,,,,,2,0,0+iacenc.dll = 100,,,,,,,2,2,0 [dosnet_files] d1,iacenc.dll 

WindowsXP-KB2661637-x86-20131006.zip