Unattended installation

adivk

Hi Guys

I am new to this forum. My problem is, every quarter of the year, our company will be giving laptops to employees and i have to configure them, install the necessary software (like, SEP Client, Office 2007 / 2010, Garmin, scanner software, etc). Currently, all this software is placed in folder in my external drive and i copy this folder to the new laptop and install one by one. I need a solution so that i can install all the software in one go silently like an intel's motherboard driver cd wher you select whatever driver you need to install.

Is it possible????

If so, please help how to do it.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

I apologize if I posted this message in the wrong section.

• 9 months later...

Hi Guys

I am new to this forum. My problem is, every quarter of the year, our company will be giving laptops to employees and i have to configure them, install the necessary software (like, SEP Client, Office 2007 / 2010, Garmin, scanner software, etc). Currently, all this software is placed in folder in my external drive and i copy this folder to the new laptop and install one by one. I need a solution so that i can install all the software in one go silently like an intel's motherboard driver cd wher you select whatever driver you need to install.

Is it possible????

If so, please help how to do it.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

I apologize if I posted this message in the wrong section.

You could make sfx files for the majority of the software, Put them all in one folder on your external drive then do a multi-installer from a batch file or just package all together

like I do and let em rip.. DosProbie

• 1 year later...

Most software gets packed with the always same installers (Wise, Nullsoft, MSI-Installer). These installers use a specific syntax to execute them silently. Just use google or the forum-search to get the switches. Alternatively, the universal switch finder can analyze .exe-files to find their hidden switches. The tool doesn't know all installers out there but quiet a lot. It's always worth a trial.

If you can spend some money, google for deployment software, like vmware-app. They can record installations to create one-click-software-packages. It's well known in business-world where software-updates need to be spread quickly and easyly for numerous clients.

The usual "corporate" approach is usually different.

Typically a bunch of identical machines are bought, say a lot of 20 or more, the IT installs and configures one of them "properly", tests it, then images it and deploys the image to all the other identical ones.

I personally count as:

One, two, three, many :w00t:

If the number is within 3, manual installation three times is at the end of the day faster than *anything* scripted/custom, etc.

If the number belongs to "many", then usually an "imaging/deploying" approach/solution is IMHO the best choice.

jaclaz

Take a look at Evalaze, it has both: A limited free edition and a professional one (about 2000 Euro). Best of all is their service: You can upload your software, they make a package out of it and you can download a one-click-installer afterwards. If you are working for a company it might be an interesting offer for you. Another one is spoon studio (about the same price). After registration (and propably payment of course) you can up- and download complete packages there as well. Well know software, like microsoft office, are provided on the website already. With uploading new packages their community grows the collection in addition.

You can get a short overview of programs like this here.