Problem with mapped network drives

Tripredacus

Using Windows 8 CP, I get to develop a deployment app for it, but I am experiencing a problem with network drives. Now this is just in the initial (actual) development of the workflow, so no automation is done here. This is the behaviour we are seeing:

1. If map network drive with cmd, can see drive in Computer, but end up getting permissions errors.

2. If map network drive with elevated cmd, cannot see drive in Computer, but scripts execute fine.

I do not require the ability to see the network drive in Computer, however it is an annoyance. What is the particular reason why it doesn't show up?

Oh if it matters, the network share it connects to is on a domain controller (2008 R2) using domain credentials.

• 3 weeks later...

The shell isn't (technically isn't designed to) elevate, although I cannot easily explain the first behavior. The second behavior is expected and you can repro it in Windows 7, but I can't easily explain why the first behavior occurs. What kind of permission errors are you getting, and does a procmon show anything?

The permission errors may have been caused by a program I was running. A curious behaviour found was that the default search order is different. Whereas in Win7 and earlier, Procmon would show that it would search for files in the programDir, root and then System32 (or Syswow64) but in Win8 CP, it only looks at SysWoW64 folder. So the permission problems we had were because a support DLL could not be found in the same folder as the program itself, but copying them to Syswow64 let the program work. I do not know if that is because of a change in Win8 CP or if it is a problem with the program itself.