DVD drives not reading properly

doveman

I've had this problem ever since I started using Windows 7, on two different PCs, with two or three different brands of DVD drive. The drives work fine in XP on the same PC, but in Windows 7 when I try and access a disc it chugs away like crazy and takes forever to even show the root contents and then takes even longer to show the icons for the files and I have to eject the disc to unfreeze it.

When I tried to fix this problem last April I checked the filter drivers, uninstalled Daemon Tools and SPTD, installed Virtualbox in Windows 7 and made an XP Vbox which could access the drives just fine, installed a fresh copy of Win7 into a VHD which also had no problems accessing the drives, uninstalled Avira Antivir, disabled Windows CD Burning, disabled Windows Seach, run the MS Fixit and I dare say a few other things that I've forgotten about. I never thought that the trickiest problem I'd have with Windows 7 would be getting my DVD drives to work, so if anyone can help me get this sorted out I'd be a very happy man.

Update chipset drivers for your motherboard to start.

I've seen this before but I usually just wait. I know that removable drives aren't indexed. I can imagine this is a pain when doing a lot of disc insertions, but my use of ODs have dropped greatly since starting to use UFDs.

I'm not sure there are any chipset drivers to install, other than the ones which get installed with Catalyst (12.3). It's a Gigabyte MA780G-UD3H http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3004#ov but in the past I've had the same problem with other AMD-based boards, so the problem's not specific to this board.

I switched it to AHCI mode from Native IDE yesterday, which I've been doing with all my boards lately, but that didn't help with this problem at all.

I didn't think removable drives would be indexed but I'd already disabled Windows Search anyway. Certainly just waiting isn't an option, as I'd would probably take me about a day to read or burn a disc!