Four new Betas released today

CoffeeFiend,

Very good article, thanks. He puts another nail in the coffin of the idea of Windows tablets selling to businesses.

I also like this remark in the comments section:

Is Microsoft ever going to hire people with field experience in HCI rather hiring a bunch of acedemics?

--JorgeA

Aloha,

In that case (when Search doesn't find anything), what happens if you hit the Windows key, or if you hover the mouse to the lower-left corner of the screen?

--JorgeA

I tried pressing Windows key, and even clicking on the lower-left corner, it just toggled between the Search Screen and the Start Screen. Then if I clicked on the Desktop tile, the screen flicked and nothing happened, I was still at the Start screen. I hope you are not confused with my description!

Aloha,

In that case (when Search doesn't find anything), what happens if you hit the Windows key, or if you hover the mouse to the lower-left corner of the screen?

--JorgeA

I tried pressing Windows key, and even clicking on the lower-left corner, it just toggled between the Search Screen and the Start Screen. Then if I clicked on the Desktop tile, the screen flicked and nothing happened, I was still at the Start screen. I hope you are not confused with my description!

Aloha,

Wow, I had to think about that for a while!

That's very strange behavior, not at all what I would expect to happen. :unsure: I'll try searching for a string that I know doesn't exist, and see what happens.

Just tried it in the Developer Preview, where that PC is in now. I went into the Start Screen and typed "ghjkl". It didn't find anything, but it did let me get back to the Start Screen and then to the Desktop when I clicked on that tile.

Next time I boot into the CP (it's getting late), I'll try the same thing there and report back.

--JorgeA

• 2 months later...

MS listens a bit. Now the color is back in the VS11 RC:

7367.Visual-Studio-11-RC-Full.png

They also removed the caps in the test like "Solution Explorer". But now the Mainmenu items are all in Caps like "FILE", "EDIT". This looks so ugly gain :rolleyes: But it's getting a bit better.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2012/05/08/visual-studio-11-user-interface-updates-coming-in-rc.aspx

It looks less bad now. The beta UI was horrible, now it's just somewhat worse than VS 2010.

But then again, they're only addressing minor issues. It still has far more important problems, like compiling code that doesn't run on half the computers that have Windows as their OS (compiled apps don't work on XP and prior, and as much as I dislike XP we simply can't abandon half of our users yet!) and pretty much not offering a single reason to upgrade in the first place.

C# has pretty much zero improvements besides the very minor async language feature. And I must be thick, because at that price (CDN$15,939 which is USD $15,926 at the current exchange rate) for Ultimate with MSDN I'd expect C++11 support at least equal to freeware (open source) GCC. Also, the free Express editions are now absolutely worthless (you'll need to buy VS to make any simple Windows application in C# or VB)

How about making Visual Studio good enough not to require Resharper/CodeRush/Refactor Pro!/Visual Assist X (much improved refactoring and code navigation for starters), adding a LINQPad-like tool (debugging LINQ queries would be fantastic too), improving CPU & memory profiling (like ANTS), including nice language improvements (supporting more C++11 features, or things like XML literals in C#), including something like Roslyn and its REPL, ideally including a tool like Reflector/dotPeek/ILSpy/JustDecompile, having some out-of-the-box SVN/Hg/Git support (because no, we're not going to suddenly start using TFS -- it's simply not the kind of tool most of us need or want), substantially improved SQL Server support for tasks like database versioning/schema comparison/script generation and such (intellisense in SQL Server Management Studio without SQL Complete would be nice too) much like Redgate's tools provide, maybe making their testing tools as good as freeware alternatives (e.g. NUnit with TestDriven.NET and NCrunch, or even Resharper's test runner), including a basic regex tool (doesn't have to be quite as fancy as regex buddy), better code documentation tools (like sandcastle help file builder), more advanced/improved/highly polished controls (like those from Telerik, DevExpress, Infragistics and others), or even C99 support more than a decade late (yes, I do know it'll never happen), etc.

There's a VERY long list of things that still very much need improving and that most developers would agree on (so we rely on a lot of 3rd party tools for a lot of things). But instead of working on that, we now get a regression on the UI side and supporting less Windows versions as our main new features. Shut up and take my money! No sarcasm at all there :rolleyes: No siree! Much like for Win8, they chose to make the UI suck instead of adding new worthwhile features or improving what was already there. Thanks, but no thanks. We'll keep using Win7 & VS 2010. I'd sooner pay again to keep using what we have now than to use the new stuff for free.

I like it more compared to the VS2010 UI. I've always applied a theme to get the VS2008 look back. Taste is different.

Maybe you get a feature pack after RTM to compile apps for Windows XP:

Just so that there is no confusion for the readers of your blog, the issue of XP support for C++ in Dev11 is one we’re taking very seriously, and we’re continuing to take customer feedback on Dev11 beta. However, we are not yet prepared to make an announcement on platform support for the RTM version of Dev11. We will be making an announcement on this in the coming weeks.

http://blog.m-ri.de/index.php/2012/05/04/und-das-letzte-wort-zu-vs-11-und-windows-xp-ist-doch-nicht-gesprochen/

I like it more compared to the VS2010 UI. I've always applied a theme to get the VS2008 look back. Taste is different.

I have no problems with that :) I don't mind VS2008's interface either. I use VS 2010 mostly for .NET 4 support, and not because I prefer its GUI or theme (the new window manager is nice to have though). So long as it's not the "everything in drab, depressing gray with ALL CAPS EVERYWHERE" I'll be OK.

Maybe you get a feature pack after RTM to compile apps for Windows XP

I didn't think of searching for articles in languages besides English (mainly because I thought pretty much all new infos would be released in English primarily -- I hadn't looked recently either). It's ridiculous not to have XP support in the RTM, but if they bring it back for C++ and also .NET 4.5 apps (which currently don't run on anything older than Win7, but nothing is final yet) then it would make VS 11 a viable option. On the C++ side, benefits are fairly obvious (some C++11 features, which will get used if we can finally target XP) but on the .NET side it's not so clear cut. The nicest thing I've noticed so far (besides async) is that the System.IO.Compression namespace now contains classes to handle zip files natively (instead of having to use SharpZipLib, the J# classes or something similar). I'd still like to see a LOT more improvements but at least it wouldn't be a step back from VS 2010 anymore.

Mein Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut (par contre je parle bien français). But it does sound like the odds of getting XP support are pretty good.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...