10/100/1000 networking

w7u64xi7

We are making a small network at home and will use file sharing transfer heavily.

We thought to buy 10/100/1000 network switch, cards, and cables.

Question is: is it mandatory that motherboard must support networking for 10/100/1000 or using cards support 10/100/1000 solve the issue?

We are using old computers like dell 745 core to due.

We are making a small network at home and will use file sharing transfer heavily.

We thought to buy 10/100/1000 network switch, cards, and cables.

Question is: is it mandatory that motherboard must support networking for 10/100/1000 or using cards support 10/100/1000 solve the issue?

We are using old computers like dell 745 core to due.

It is just that we gonna buy 16 or 20 computers with 20 cards, 3 switches, 2 adsl 2+ routers and cables for 10/100/1000, so it is a lot of money and this is why I am worried about going wrong.

Also one last thing, does file transfer using 10/100/1000 will be the fast like USB 3 or will be slow?

I don't think motherboards care what speed NIC it has in it. If you decide to get Gigabit (there is absolutely no reason why you'd want 10/100 really) then make sure the speed is the same across all NICs. Do not introduce any 10/100 into that network (especially if you want to have good performance) unless you end up getting managed switches with Link Aggregation. As far as a USB 3 comparison, I can't help you there.