One Laptop and Windows 98SE

USSR98SE

Hi,

here I got my old laptop. He is replaced with a new one and the new one is replaced with an even newer one. It is from 2007 and after it got replaced it got the status of an experimental Laptop. I used it for Windows 7 Alphas and Windows 8 WDP. Now I got an Windows 98SE Disk here and a ME Update as .iso , which I made years ago.

I want to make a clear install. I want to make 2 Partitions, one maybe 2-10 GB with 98SE (maybe -> me) and one with Ubuntu.

How to do this?

What I have to? Where should I pay attention...

USSR 98SE

My best method I use for partitioning hard drives is to use a live cd, either of windows or linux. Linux has some good tools and can take less time to download if you get a small distro.

My win98se cd wont format my hdd, dont know why it might be scratched. So I use the live cd to format then pop in the win98se and let it install under fat32. I use fat32. You can make multiple partitions with many programs, be sure to read them and follow the instructions closely though, but dont be afraid to experiment.

Install win98se first because I dont think theres much multi-boot support for 98. The Linux distro of your choice should have one, so install linux last. Best of Luck

UPDATE -- Also make sure windows 98 partitions are formatted in Fat32 not Ntfs names. And Linux Under the formats of ext2 and ext3 (others include reiserfs, xfs and jfs)

Shane

Hi,

here I got my old laptop. He is replaced with a new one and the new one is replaced with an even newer one. It is from 2007 and after it got replaced it got the status of an experimental Laptop. I used it for Windows 7 Alphas and Windows 8 WDP. Now I got an Windows 98SE Disk here and a ME Update as .iso , which I made years ago.

I want to make a clear install. I want to make 2 Partitions, one maybe 2-10 GB with 98SE (maybe -> me) and one with Ubuntu.

How to do this?

What I have to? Where should I pay attention...

USSR 98SE

Being 2007 vintage, you can probably manage to find drivers for the video, and sound. They may even be available on the manufactures web site, but I'm guessing that you won't be that lucky. Laptops are notorious for being hard to find drivers for OS's other than the one that came on it. If you strike out on the manufactures web site and you don't know who made the video or sound chips, load a live linux distro and from a terminal run "lspci" without the quotes. That will give you a list of many of the internal components. Then you can try the chip manufactures web site for drivers.

The next issue you will likely face is RAM, having to much. Rloew, who frequents this board, has patches available (not free) that allow for dealing with to much RAM as well as other things. Get a good hardware list together for what the computer has and have it ready to post here. You are in the right place to get it going, as there are some really knowledgeable people here that are more than willing to help you out. The folks here are the greatest!!

Good luck and don't get discouraged if you run into trouble. Just be ready and willing to follow advice and instructions given from the more knowledgeable members here.