Computer keeps re-cycling

mike13

I have a friends computer. It is a Dell Inspiron 530 about 3.5 years old. She tells me there was a power outage, and now the computer will not boot up. When I turn the computer on, I see the Dell screen etc. and the Windows XP screen for a moment. But then I get a screen full of info such as

"We apologize for the inconvenience but Windows did not start successfully etc. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this." Then there are several options, such as Start Normally, Start in safe mode, Safe mode with the command prompt, Last known good configeration, etc etc.

I have tried ALL those options, same result. It appears like the computer is starting, I see the Windows screen for a few seconds etc, but then it displays all that info about "We apologize etc." I can't

even get into SAFE mode. It brings me back to the same screen. I have tried removing and switching the 4 memory sticks around, same result. The power supply seems OK, meaning the fan in the PS is running, so I guess the PS is OK. ?? Any suggestions on what to try next ? Thanks, Mike

Thanks cluberti for the reply. I tried to do a repair with the XP disc. but I never get the option of doing a repair. The only options I get is to do a format and install. Any other suggestions, Thanks, Mike

More likely a corrupted Windows XP. That's what can occur with power problems when a defrag is going.

Or when updates are being installed.

I would consider reinstalling XP, but if it is a 3.5 y/o PC it would have Vista normally on it?