IE8 Tabs broken since Windows Update

JorgeA

Hello,

Has anybody else had this problem? Ever since I downloaded and installed this week's Windows Updates, the tab function on my Internet Explorer 8 hasn't worked properly. I can open new tabs just fine, but when I try to close any one of them, the tab won't close, and eventually IE stops responding and the screen takes on a whitish hue. In that case the only way to close IE is to go into Task Manager and kill the program.

Any idea what's going on, and what one might do to solve it? This is on Vista x64; the IE version is 32-bit.

Thanks!

--JorgeA

UPDATE: Never mind, I found the fix here. Other websites gave the first solution only -- that's what I tried and IE tabs are working again (knock on wood).

Edited by JorgeA

• 3 weeks later...

I see that you've fixed it now but I wonder why you didn't just upgrade to ie9 instead of wrestling with the issue? Not that I necessarily endorse ie9 but I've really heard nothing but good things about it from ie users.

I see that you've fixed it now but I wonder why you didn't just upgrade to ie9 instead of wrestling with the issue? Not that I necessarily endorse ie9 but I've really heard nothing but good things about it from ie users.

tain,

That's a fair question. After reading this, you won't be able anymore to say that you've heard nothing but good things about IE9 from users. ;)

I tried IE9 last year and hated it. It had the least informative UI that I'd ever seen on a browser: no page title across the top for quick verification of the page; no permanent menu bar; no status bar (and if you do manage to bring it back, it has lost most of its functionality); no indication of progress for individual downloads; a ridiculously short address bar that cuts off the end of URLs from view.

In addition, there were a number of (IMO) needless changes to the visual design, such as the lopsidedly large Back button and the relocation of buttons, tabs, and the Favorites. I use the Internet mostly for work and research, and it's annoying to have to discover where all the commands are all over again -- to what end?

I'm aware that tweaks and hacks have been found or developed for many of these issues, but even then you don't end up with a useful status bar, which I rely on to keep me posted on safety matters (SmartScreen filter, protected zone, blocked items, privacy report). I know that you can call these up, but the point is that I'm no longer getting this information at a glance while I'm working, rather I have to stop what I'm doing and take time to click on something to get the information.

Incidentally, anyone inclined to think that my reaction to IE9 was strong, should have seen my wife's reaction. I gave it a shot for three days; she uninstalled her IE9 after 20 seconds.

Afterwards, I came across this list of features that were removed from IE9 relative to IE8. I don't know about some of the more technical issues discussed there, but I can vouch for the decreased functionality.

So it looks like we'll be staying with IE8 for a while. :)

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Sounds like a well thought-out opinion so I'm glad to hear you have your preferred browser. As a FF guy I haven't paid that much attention to any IE versions in quite some time so I'll take you at your word :)

Sounds like a well thought-out opinion so I'm glad to hear you have your preferred browser. As a FF guy I haven't paid that much attention to any IE versions in quite some time so I'll take you at your word :)

tain,

Thanks immensely! It's not often in cyberspace that somebody critiques a "wave of the future" technology, and actually gets treated with respect. I've seen it too many times in online forums where people like that are greeted with scorn and sarcasm by supporters of the new, as if it were an enemy tribe or something.

I really appreciate it. :)

--JorgeA