Slipstreaming DriverPacks onto XP installation DVD

If I add the XP DriverPacks to a directory on a slipstreamed DVD disk, would the installation process copy these drivers to the Hard Disk at installation time please? Reason being I'm trying to remake an XP recovery DVD for a laptop with a missing recovery disk, and even the DVD drive does not work after doing a fresh XP recovery with the current recovery disk. So I want to rebuild it with the missing drivers.

Thanks Allen - I'm aiming at that. At the moment there seems to be no way to even manually get the drivers onto this laptop, as none of the following work: Ethernet LAN, USB, DVD drive... So the idea was to try to copy the drivers into a directory of the HDD at install time. That way, at least they are on the laptop, so I can then install them manually from the hard drive.

Once I know what drivers I need for this system, and have it working, then I was going to build a bootable recovery CD, that would install the necessary drivers (and SP 2 or 3) automatically. The DVD drive works OK from a cold boot, but after the failed XP install the DVD is not showing on the system. Even after doing a warm reboot the DVD drive is no longer showing. I've taken a look at the registry settings, and followed some guides on youtube about fixing a missing DVD/CD drive, but that does look to be the cause here. So I'm a bit stumped as to why this happens.

Another option is to slipstream the XP recovery CD, and integrate the missing drivers like you say. So how would I go about adding those missing drivers, once I have identifed the PCI devices that need drivers?

What files would I need to add to the new ISO image, and where would I have to add them for them to be installed automatically onto the laptop during the installation?

TIA

Jed

Edited by JedClampett

Before any kind of driver integration which might be a lot of work, here is what i would do:

- identify the hwids of the unknown devices as explained there.

- then find the right drivers: sometime just google and the PCIxxxxxxx string is enough to find the right driver. This step is not needed if you want to try the drivers packs but i don't like those and always go to the manufacturer website and try to find the right driver before trying anything else.

- Then if you found some of the missing drivers you can choose between:

- Remove the hard drive from the laptop and plug it on another computer and then copy the needed drivers.

- Or boot with a linux live cd (as most of those have all needed drivers) and copy the needed drivers.

When you're sure of the drivers, you can integrate them using tutorials here or using nlite.

Also, if you provided more information about your hardware, someone could have found the right drivers (usb not working is very strange as most usb drivers are provided in XP SP2/SP3).

Thanks Allen. The XP recovery DVD is from an older Advent, and it does not have SP1 or SP2 slipped into it.

Would it help if I was to slipstream this with SP2 first, then try an installation with the newly SP2 integrated DVD, so at least the USB ports would be working (and possibly the DVD drive as well) ?

- Or boot with a linux live cd (as most of those have all needed drivers) and copy the needed drivers.

Are you saying use the Linux UBCD ( http://www.ultimatebootcd.com ) which works fine, to get the target laptop up and working, then just transfer the Drivers from the USB drive under Linux, to the HDD of the laptop, then reboot under Windows XP, and try installing the missing drivers like that from the HDD?

Sounds the easiest way to get those drivers on board the HDD to me :)

Edited by JedClampett

Yes you understood perfectly: boot from the live CD then insert the usb drive then copy the drivers from the usb drive to the hard drive.

As for the linux live CD, i would recommend system rescue CD as it comes with ntfs R/W support for sure and i've known it since about 8 years. And i don't know if ultimatebootcd comes with ntfs r/w support.

And yes, if you know how to mount an ntfs partition in linux (it is easy but if you don't know, i can explain it to you), this will be probably the easiest way.

As for the other thing perhaps integrating sp2 will but i don't really as the other ways will work for sure, i'd go with them.

Thanks for that info Allen. I'm running Centos 5.6 on my main machine, and have downloaded all my Windows apps to that, including DriverPacks and manufacturers drivers. I'll take a look at http://www.sysresccd.org/ as it seems very similar to Parted Magic ( http://partedmagic.com ), which is on the Linux UBCD.

New features in UBCD V5.x include:

* New! The Linux-based distro Parted Magic is now included with UBCD V5.0. This should be the method of choice when you need to resize/rescue partitions, access NTFS filesystems or work with USB storage devices.

As well as PM there are alot of DOS based test utilities that I would not ever like to be without.

You need the Ultimate Boot CD if you want to:

* Run floppy-based diagnostic tools from CDROM drives. More and more PCs are shipped without floppy drives these days, and it is such a royal pain when you need to run diagnostic tools on them.

* Consolidate as many diagnostic tools as possible into one bootable CD. Wouldn't you like to avoid digging into the dusty box to look for the right floppy disk, but simply run them all from a single CD? Then the Ultimate Boot CD is for you!

One of my favourites is called Vivard. It's a HDD test and wiping utility. I had a Hitachi 500GB hard drive that failed the DFT fitness test, and I got a RMA for it. However after running Vivard on the drive and completely erasing all sectors, when I ran the Hitachi DFT utility, the drive passed without any errors! I still returned the drive and got a free replacement under warranty.

So the UBCD is a must for me. I'd highly recommend downloading the Linux UBCD, just for the test utllities that are included on it. All the HDD testing utilities from major manufacturers are on the CD, plus an interesting utility to get lots of info about the DVD/CD drive.