Visual Studio 2008 Administrator Mode - Unattend .ini creation freezes

jagojago12

Hi there, I am trying to create the unattend file for VS 2008 but it freezes. I'm trying the command:

\\SERVER_NAME\vs2008\Setup\setup.exe /createunattend c:\VS2008_deployment.ini

But the unattend file creation process just hangs at the main initial setup screen, right after I click "next". What gives?

VS2008.png

Notice that the options like Next, Cancel or the X exit button are greyed out. After watiing for the rest of the setup to begin for 2 hours, something tells me it's hung hard.

Edited by jagojago12

I solved the problem. The issue was I ran this remotely. Somehow, it didn't like that. Once I ran locally, I was able to create the unattend ini file. Strange, as creating the unattend ini file on Visual Studio 2010 runs fine. Alas, it's generally better to run locally if that'll suffice and this is case in point.

I should have noticed where you were creating that .ini file. You didn't post the OS of the client. Vista, 7 and 2008 regard the root of the volume to be protected. As expected you seem to have run into a permissions issue. The reason why you didn't get any MsgBox about it may be due to what Local account VS was using to create the file.