copied windows partition to a new hdd and cannot boot

graysky

An old HDD began failing, I has Win7 on it and Linux on it. It uses grub to select which OS to boot into.

I added a new HDD to the system, booted into Linux (live CD), made a duplicate partition setup on the new drive (win7 and linux). I then mounted the win partition and used rsync to copy old --> new. I did the same for linux. Finally, I reinstalled grub to the boot sector of the new hdd and removed the old drive.

Reboot. Grub comes up and I can boot into Linux. I cannot boot into Windows. It gives me some error message about a hardware change. Is there a recovery procedure?

An old HDD began failing, I has Win7 on it and Linux on it. It uses grub to select which OS to boot into.

I added a new HDD to the system, booted into Linux (live CD), made a duplicate partition setup on the new drive (win7 and linux). I then mounted the win partition and used rsync to copy old --> new. I did the same for linux. Finally, I reinstalled grub to the boot sector of the new hdd and removed the old drive.

Reboot. Grub comes up and I can boot into Linux. I cannot boot into Windows. It gives me some error message about a hardware change. Is there a recovery procedure?

Well, yes, you have probably not "ported over" the Disk Signature, thus you need to fix "MountedDevices" key in the Registry.

Are you familiar with the above?

Easiest would be to copy now the disk signature from the old disk to the new one.

Another way is to access OFFLINE the Windows 7 Registry and delete all keys under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices (they will be re-initialized correctly if your is a "standard" install, there may be problems with "strange" partitioning setups and/or drive letter changed during original install).

Another way is to read the current disk signature and edit the relevant keys with the new value you find.

Data is in the registry exactly as written in the MBR, see here:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=19663

(the format has not changed in 7).

If you run the Windows 7 Recovery procedure from CD/DVD it should be able to fix the issue.

jaclaz