ST9160411AS - Can't initialize because of "I/O device error&#3

I have a ST9160411AS Momentus 7200.3 SATA 3Gb/s 160-GB Hard Drive.

1) The BIOS detects the hard drive.

2) Hard drive does not show up in My Computer.

3) The hard drive shows up in Disk management but it says, "Not initialized." So, I try to initialize the hard drive, but it says, "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

I tried the SeaTools but it doesn't show up when you scan for drives.

I have files on the hard drive. How can I fix the drive? Thanks for you help.

Yea, I tried the Windows and DOS version of Seatools. In the DOS version, it detects the hard drive but all of the diagnostic tests fail to run because of "Bad sector". Thanks for your help. Any other suggestions?

Then the only options are to repair it yourself, if you absolutely want to recover the stored data, or send it to seagate for a replacement if it is still under warranty.

For the first option, i won't be of any help but Jaclaz might help if he is around.

I think I have a 0 LBA error. Tried the "The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs" but the drive still has 0MB drive. The final output was "User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 0 secs". Is it suppose to take 0 secs for user partition format? Is there anything I can try to repair the drive?

I think I have a 0 LBA error. Tried the "The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs" but the drive still has 0MB drive. The final output was "User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 0 secs". Is it suppose to take 0 secs for user partition format? Is there anything I can try to repair the drive?

I doubt this.

Maybe you did something similar, but not that exact "fix" (mainly the actual terminal commands are AFAIK/AFAICR different on earlier version of the disk drives and the communication protocol is different, lower transmission baud rate).

It would be nice if you could post the EXACT (meaning EXACT) settings you made and the EXACT commands you gave.

The final output was "User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 0 secs". Is it suppose to take 0 secs for user partition format?

No, it should take a bunch of seconds at least.

Is there anything I can try to repair the drive?

Hard to say.

It is also possible that by using something similar to the 7200.11 fix you brought the disk drive beyond any possible "DIY" repair/recovery. :ph34r:

The "Not initialized" in Disk Management is normally a "translation" into MS jargon of:

The first sector of this disk (the MBR) does not have the Magic Bytes 55AA or I cannot read them.

And the:

"The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error." sounds like the same for:

You have a bad cable, or bad HD PCB, or bad controller, or however I cannot talk to the disk drive.

Which "Windows" are you running?

I would hope XP and NOT Vista :ph34r: or 7 (for which most probably you have the added layer of UAC and "run as Admin"), if I were you I would try checkng what Victoria ( or mhdd form DOS) has to say about the disk.

jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...

How do I replace the PCB board?

12 (twelve) easy steps:

1. You find a compatible PCB board.
  2. You verify it is compatible.
  3. You check again.
  4. You find out that you got a wrong one and need to find the right one.
  5. You find a compatible PCB board.
  6. You verify it is compatible.
  7. You disassemble the PCB from the disk.
  8. You de-solder the eprom from the "old" one.
  9. You de-solder the eprom from the "new" one.
  10. You solder the "old" eprom on the "new" PCB.
  11. You assemble the "new" PCB on the disk.
  12. You test the disk to find out that it doesn't work as well.

A Q&A that may help you :unsure::

Q.: WIll changing the PCB (provided that I am able to perform it's swapping correctly and without frying anything) help in *any* way to rec ove the disk or the data in it?

Short Answer:

A.: NO.

Long Answer:

A.:NO, it will simply represent an (expensive) exercise in futility, with no practical benefit of *any* kind and additionally carries with it the risk that once done even a professional won't be able to get anything out of it.

If you have a bad flu, you do not cast your left ankle into plaster.

If you have a broken left ankle you stop walking to avoid putting your weight on your left foot, and you normally don't take antibiotics.

jaclaz