_NEC DVD-ROM

Sp0iLedBrAt

So, the DVD-ROM is visible to Windows in Device Manager, but not under Disk Management. It's got a yellow question mark and it says the driver is corrupt or missing. It's not like there are a lot of driver alternatives for this, so what would you guys do? My idea is that installing IMAPI 2.0 http://www.microsoft...ang=en&id=17073 will overwrite cdrom.sys with a newer version 5.1.2600.5593, but will that do the trick? What happens to the other files listed in the Driver properties: storprop.dll, redbook, sys, imapi.sys?

Thanks in advance

Problems with Optical drives usually trace back to the Mass Storage controller. You didn't post your OS so don't know if these steps are relevant. You can try go into Safe Mode and remove any ODD that shows up in Device Manager and reboot. Also try to update the Mass Storage drivers. I seem to recall that you can try removing the "IDE" controllers in Safe Mode and reboot also, but only have used that up until XP, never seen something like this in Vista or 7.

The OS is listed in the title (XP x86 SP3).

Problems with Optical drives usually trace back to the Mass Storage controller.
I wish that were the case, but I know for sure this system works in IDE and does not have SATA. I will re-check anyway, and I'll definitely try removing it from Safe Mode (I suppose this will force it to reinstall the controller on reboot, right?)

Cheers

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt