YAC/Caller ID Delay—Requires Service?

chronosate3

Hi, all! I've got a bit of a head scratcher on my hands, and I am hoping someone can help me out with it.

I am running two different YAC Clients, the stock YAC listener, and Ascendis Caller ID, to display the name and number of folks calling in. I have a server with Ascendis Caller ID on it with a USB modem, and when a call comes in, it sends the information out in the YAC format to YAC listeners, as enumerated by IP address or Windows name. On two of the computers, when the phone rings, the YAC message pops up immediately after caller ID data is forwarded by the server. However, on two computers that have been heavily nLited, there is a massive delay, which makes the entire enterprise quite frustrating; the point of caller ID is to see who is calling at that moment, not 25 to 30 seconds later!

When I use YAC to send a test call, it pops up immediately on the nLited machines. However, when a regular phone call comes in, although it pops up quickly on my computer, on the more heavily nLited computers, there is a large delay until the information shows up. My guess is that there is some service that is required, or, something that is somehow delaying the data. The YAC clients (listeners) use TCP on port 10629.

Here are my questions:

1) Should I install Ethereal/Wireshark on the clients to verify that the packet is getting to the client first? This seems prudent, as it would determine whether the packet is arriving, and then there is a delay, or, whether the packet is being "held up" somewhere.

2) Is it likely that there is something removed from nLite which is causing the delay? Here is a list of services on the computer where the YAC listener responds promptly:

These Windows services are started:

Application Layer Gateway Service

Ati HotKey Poller

Bonjour Service

COM+ Event System

Computer Browser

Cryptographic Services

DCOM Server Process Launcher

DHCP Client

Distributed Link Tracking Client

DNS Client

Event Log

HID Input Service

LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service

Logical Disk Manager

Net Driver HPZ12

Network Connections

Network Location Awareness (NLA)

Plug and Play

Pml Driver HPZ12

Print Spooler

Protected Storage

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Security Accounts Manager

Server

Shell Hardware Detection

System Event Notification

TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper

Telephony

Terminal Services

Themes

VMware Authorization Service

VMware DHCP Service

VMware NAT Service

VMware Virtual Mount Manager Extended

WebClient

Windows Audio

Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS

Windows Management Instrumentation

Windows Time

Wireless Zero Configuration

WMI Performance Adapter

Workstation

The command completed successfully.

Here is a list of services on the computer where there is a very long delay:

These Windows services are started:

Cryptographic Services

DCOM Server Process Launcher

DHCP Client

DNS Client

Event Log

Logical Disk Manager

Net Driver HPZ12

Network Connections

Plug and Play

Pml Driver HPZ12

Print Spooler

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Server

Shell Hardware Detection

TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper

Windows Audio

Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)

Wireless Zero Configuration

Workstation

The command completed successfully.

My intuition is that there was something removed by nLite that is causing the delay. However, that is just a guess.

Links:

YAC

Ascendis Caller ID

~Many thanks,

Bryan M.

-----------------------------------------------

EDIT: I found this tiny port monitoring program here.

I am too tired to test it right now, but it should allow me to check and see whether the data is arriving immediately after the call. That should determine the next step in troubleshooting. I'll post back in the morning. If anyone has any suggestions, I welcome them.

Also, I do not have the last session file from nLite. :(

On the bright side, if it is something removed with nLite that is behind the delay, we can add it to the "What Not To Remove For Some Programs" thread.

Edited by chronosate3

Ponch, many thanks for the reply. I'm not quite sure I understand. The YAC server is sitting in my family room, downstairs, providing the caller ID information to a number of other computers, including my personal computer which I am presently typing on, a second computer for family members and guests, and a computer in my dad's ham radio room. It is in my house, on my internal LAN.

Regardless, I'll run the TCP port listener shortly, and find out if the packets are arriving on time or are being delayed.