Dell GX745 - SATA driver problem

whftherb

Hello to all you fine members.

I have a 2006 Dell GX745 in which the HDD went belly up. Read errors, BSODs, and no boot. Dell sent me a new 80gB Samsung HDD which I've installed making sure all connections are tight. Dell did not send a SATA disk nor any SATA driver info - just the plain HDD. The '745 has no floppy installed plus the FDD support off the mobo is USB - no standard FDD connector. So connecting up a temp FDD isn't easy without a lot of extra stuff. So I turned to nLite to help me build a custom Dell install disk with SATA drivers included. I have left the BIOS alone - to wit: the optical drive is my first boot device.

One big problem is I do not know what SATA/RAID controller is used in this thing. I have the original "came-with-the-system" SP2 Reinstallation CD from Dell. I searched online at Dell and found literally hundreds of driver sets but couldn't find the base SATA drivers for the '745 - at least not a set that "hit me in the face" so to speak. To get the driver set I had to get on the Dell Chat session. Then, I worked with one Dell rep for about 45 minutes, he also couldn't find the SATA drivers either. It must've been his first day. Said he would call back after doing some checking - yah - I'm still waiting. I returned to Dell chat later in the day and got another rep who linked me to "Intel Storage Matrix Manager - A17.exe. This is a compressed executable which unfolds several files (.sys, .inf and including TSTSETUP.OEM) to a Dell folder. So, I thought I had it.

Following the nLite Intel integration instructions at the top of the forum, I copied the Reinstall CD to a folder, launched nLite 1.49.1, and choose the "Drivers" integration and pointed to the new SATA folder. nLite found two .infs. I incorporated all drivers found (about 14 I believe) since I wasn't exactly sure (and neither was Dell) which to use. I created the .ISO, burned the result, and inserted the new CD into the '745 and turned the power on. Windows XP install fired up but, just as before with the virgin CD, it won't find the HDD.

Given the above, I would just like some confirmation that I probably do NOT have the correct driver set yet. Does this sound correct and should I continue to ask Dell for the correct set and have to go back to Dell. Or, what additional things should I be looking for to have nLite do the integration correctly. How do you tell what controller chip is on this mobo - if Dell doesn't know, how can I?

H

Have you tried modifying the SATA operation option in the Bios (Integrated Devices) if any (to "compatible" or IDE mode or something)?

Integrating the driver (which might be the good one and should take 2 minutes to find on Dell's site with the serial number), have you choosen "TEXT MODE" when on that screen ?

Hello -

Yes, in the Dell BIOS I am able to modify what is termed the "SATA Operation" section to "Legacy" versus "Normal". I rebooted and first used the original Dell Reinstallation CD. Windows would not find the drive. I then tried that same "Legacy" BIOS setting with my nLite CD. Again it would not find the drive. I reverted to "Normal" in the "SATA Operation" section, used my integrated nLite CD, again it would not find the drive. This tells me I still do not have the correct driverset identified and Dell is unable to direct me. This is why I never buy anyting from Dell... service is p=== poor... I am trying to put this system together for a family burnt out in fire here locally.

Please note: The second Dell rep claimed that she found the correct driver set contained within and included in "Intel Storage Matirx Manager.exe" which is what I used in incorporating with nLite. That fileset did not work either as per the above. So nothing I've tried has worked. I wish I knew exactly what driverset to incorporate using nLite. When the nLite CD is used, I can see on the screen - the 14 different SATA/RAID drivers being called up at the bottom of the screen. But, as pointed out above, they do not work. So my question is: Have I configured nLite correctly - for instance have I put them in a correct folder for XP to properly find them. Or is Dell just inaccurately referring me to some driver package in an effort to get rid of me and clear the call. As far as nLite is concerned, I'm seeking to know if there's some special folder I should tell nLite to store these SATA drivers. I'm really guessing at this point.

Any help appreciated.

H

Edited by whftherb

Yes, TEXTMODE -is- selected when I pass through the prompts.

OK and so I don't need to observe any kind of Windows "folder" structure.

I can try it once more, though I've done this two times, if you think it will help?

H

OK, I'm very sorry for this -

But I went back through and meticulously selected each and every step to create the .ISO, including carefully ensuring that TEXTMODE was selected (there's only one other choice besides...). Burned the resultant .ISO image to CD. Dropped it in, turned on, Windows installer launches and goes through setting up files - then - "Press ENTER" to install Windows and poof "Windows cannot find a disk...."

I think I've been given the wrong driverset for this Dell/Intel controller chip. Agree?

H

What's the serial# of your Dell ? (can't find Optiplex GX745 on their site though I'm sure I've been working on them before). Also attach your Last session.ini file to your next post, it might help.

As I see you swapped the drive, does it appear ("80Gig" and serial ) in the Bios ?

OK, if you can find the correct driverset for SATA, that would be super great.

Just one more word - I did find R132539.exe which unfolds files into a directory. I do not see the SATA drivers in this set. This is also a different file than that which was sent me by the second Dell rep which was labeled r222843 and which resulted in unfolding a different set called "Intel_Storage_Matrix_Manager.exe". OK, to your questions -

The service tag is: 1SB18C1

Attached is last session.ini

The drive is not showing in the BIOS under any setting circumstances. And, I wonder if I'm looking in the correct place. I know drives even new ones have been DOA before too... I wonder if Dell supplies refurbished equipment... there's no way to "test" if a SATA drive is DOA.

Hope you can point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

H

Last Session.ini

Put your ear on it and see if you hear it when you power the machine on. If your ear doesn't reach, you can use like a screwdriver as a stethoscope.

On my new rig, when they shipped it, one drive didn't make a peep and was DOA.

Edited by -X-

OK, call off the dogs! We have a dead drive!!!

It does spin up, has signs that it's normal but, get this...

I rummaged around in the parts bin and found a used Hitachi 160gB drive that I'd forgotten about. I attached it and fired up the nLite integration CD with the BIOS set to "Legacy" mode. Windows Setup found it and begged for a format which I cancelled. I went back to the new drive with the exact same set up. No find.

I was then even more curious. So, I took out the nLite integration and stuck in the "stock" Dell SP2 Reinstallation disk. To my surprise, Windows Setup found the 160 and begged for a format again. So, in both instances we're getting beyond the fatal "failure to find" point. BTW, setting the BIOS to "normal" did not work - it has to be set to "Legacy" for some reason.

So what this means is that Dell did supply the correct SATA drivers all along on their original Reinstallation CD. I wish I'd have known that and I wish that the Dell reps had known that! I didn't have to muck with finding drivers, integrating with nLite (although it's an EXCELLENT program which I will definitely keep in the toolbox). And, I have to get on the phone with them Monday to ask for a replacement Samsung. The 160 is my own personal property.

So I think this one's in the bag. Thanks to all who assisted.

H

Edited by whftherb