Unattend.xml on insatllation media after sysprep

I have sysprep's a Windows 7 image where I set CopyProfile=True. I placed this unattend.xml file in my sysprep folder, and ran the regular sysprep command: sysprep /oobe /generalize /shutdown /unattend:unattend.xml.

I have been deploying the image via imagex /apply image.wim 1 C:

My customer would like a copy of the image so he can install Windows on the rest of his machines, however, I think using imagex would confuse him. I'd like to copy my image.wim file to a regular Windows 7 install media (and rename it to install.wim), and put my unattend.xml on the root of it so he doesn't have to answer any of the questions. My question is, after some reading on MS's website, it seems since I used CopyProfile=True in my sysprep unattend.xml, I cannot include that on a Windows 7 install media. Would I be able to use my current unattend.xml file and just delete the CopyProfile part from it? I have already filled in the WinPE section so all he should have to do is select the hard drive then install--he shouldn't to enter in any more information. I just don't want to screw up the install. Thanks!

My question is, after some reading on MS's website, it seems since I used CopyProfile=True in my sysprep unattend.xml, I cannot include that on a Windows 7 install media.

Its good to know you want to follow the rules, but why stop there? The reason about the CopyProfile option is because it is not supported.

Alas, only an Authorized Replicator (AR) is allowed to create Windows install media.

My question is, after some reading on MS's website, it seems since I used CopyProfile=True in my sysprep unattend.xml, I cannot include that on a Windows 7 install media.

Its good to know you want to follow the rules, but why stop there? The reason about the CopyProfile option is because it is not supported.

Alas, only an Authorized Replicator (AR) is allowed to create Windows install media.

So does this mean I can't create this for my customer?

Here are two rules:

1. You cannot provide autounattend.xml on install or recovery media if it contains CopyProfile.

2. Only ARs are allowed to create recovery or install media.

So if you want to be able to provide your customers with install or recovery media, you will need to work with an AR. I do not know what the prices to create a one-off would be, but I do know that for Vista it was about $15 per disc for 1500 discs.

Whether or not you actually follow the rules is a risk you will have to decide on your own.