Integration Questions

RyanFialcowitz

I'm attempting to make a Windows XP Professional disk but have run into a number of problems. . .

1.) I've downloaded all the updates I need from the Microsoft Update Catalog, but I can't get nLite to accept them. On the Hotfixes, Add-ons and Update Packs screen I've tried to add many of these updates but I get an unsupported file error despite the fact that the window used to browse for these files supports cab files, which is the format the updates are in. What is the proper method to get them into nLite? Am I supposed to extract the files from the cab and add them individually- if so do I add all of them or only certain ones?

2.) I've read that I can have nLite alter the disk to install additional programs. How does this work?

3.) If I install programs like .Net Framework which have updates can I have it install the program and then the updates or this not possible?

- Ryan Paul Fialcowitz

Welcome to MSFN.

You can't integrate hotfixes as .cab files; you need the original .exe files. Use this site to get them http://xdot.tk/updates.html Despite that, some applications will still not integrate, like rootsupdate.exe or IE8. For that (answering your 2nd and 3rd question as well) you can use addons. Check out the Application Add-ons sub-forum, my signature and RyanVM's forum. You can also create/use a batch file that nLite executes which will install applications from a location (the CD or your HDD) at first logon. The answers to your questions are already here, you just need to do a little reading.

Cheers

Welcome to MSFN.

You can't integrate hotfixes as .cab files; you need the original .exe files. Use this site to get them http://xdot.tk/updates.html Despite that, some applications will still not integrate, like rootsupdate.exe or IE8. For that (answering your 2nd and 3rd question as well) you can use addons. Check out the Application Add-ons sub-forum, my signature and RyanVM's forum. You can also create/use a batch file that nLite executes which will install applications from a location (the CD or your HDD) at first logon. The answers to your questions are already here, you just need to do a little reading.

Cheers

If cabs are not usable why then are they an accepted file type when browsing the Hotfixes, Add-ons and Update Packs section? An understandable mistake. . . One last question if I may- I'm primarily intrested in adding a few drivers. I see in the drivers section that nLite only accepts inf files, but the cabs have many more files. Am I losing any functionality by just using the infs or I'm approaching the situation incorrectly? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Edit

I noticed that the updates which did have executables sometimes had several. Should I go with one or all?

- Ryan Paul Fialcowitz

Edited by RyanFialcowitz