Vista intermittent internet loss

pfisher

I have a question about Vista intermittently losing the Internet connection. We are a school which we run the Vista computers in a domain environment. These computers DO NOT have Static IP addresses. The are assigned IP address through DHCP. Under the Network Center, when the connection is good, it will look like this:

Computer >> Domain >> Internet

After the intermittent lost, it looks like this:

Computer >> Domain >>RED X>> Internet

No matter what you do to restore the connection, it doesn't come back unless you either DISABLE the NIC card and reable OR you leave the connection alone, the connection mysteriously reconnects to the internet. The computer never loses the connection to the Domain.

As far as Network settings, the computer has Network Discovery ON and File Sharing ON. Under the NIC card settings, the computer has the following checked:

Client for MS Networks

QoS Packet Scheduler

F/P sharing

IPv6

IPv4

Topology Discovery Mapper

Topology Discovery Responder

This intermittent lost of connection happens to anyone who is logged on either Admin, teacher, and student. It happens almost on ANY Vista computer.

What is causing this problem to occur?

We have a limited number of Windows XP computers but it is mostly a Vista environment. The WinXP users don't have this problem. It is strictly just a Vista problem. On the server side, the DHCP is a Windows 2003 server. One guy suggested to me, my problem is with Auto tuning. He said it has nothing to do with IPV6. Does anyone agree or disagree with him?

Definately disable the LLTD then. Only a Server 2008 or higher server version can respond properly to those messages from the Vista clients. With no server to respond to the LLTD, you just have a bunch of extra data floating about your network, as Vista will keep sending out requests waiting for a response. When I first introduced Vista into our old network, this was causing all sorts of connectivity issues. I had set all clients (and all deployments) to disable LLTD on Vista. Windows 7 also has it, but by the time we started adding Windows 7 clients, we had migrated the domain to Server 2008 and the problem never appeared.