Reducing Windows ME Bloatware?

KenO

Really like the way Windows ME handles USB but do not like all the performance penality with all it's Bloatware.

As result would like to get rid of WinME Bloatware and am interested in any suggestions how to do this.

Thanks

Ken

Seems like a very unbloated Windows ME. From what I understand it should use the Windows 95 shell (whose files don't appear in the list), and hence be a proper Windows with a desktop and the explorer browser. I guess you wouldn't be able to run many Windows apps on it unless adding back a certain number of non-absolutely essential dlls that many programs require to run.

And FWIW it has been built as a start with 98 Lite Enterprise which is a commercial software (and not abandonware as stated).

Hi Loblo,

Downloaded and installed Oppcomme.

Read the instructions at http://classic-web.archive.org/web/20060829073935/www.beta10.com/oppcomme.htm about "PCHEALTH, IS System Restore and System File Protection. And it must be removed first, before you try to remove anything else. If it is not removed first then system file protection will protect the other components from being removed. Once you have removed the other components, then just reinstall PC health if you want"

As result when first opened Oppcomme I followed "To USE Oppcom just go to the control panel, click on ADD / REMOVE PROGRAMS, Click on the Windows Setup tab, Double Click on Beta10 Optional Components, And Remove what you don't want." and looked for PCHEALTH but but somehow could not find it.

Would you please give instructions where to find PCHEALTH?

Thanks

Ken

In your "Add/Remove Programs" control panel applet there should now be a "Beta 10 Optional Components" listed in the "Windows Setup" tab, double clicking on it should bring up a window listing all the components that can be removed including "PC Health/System Restore".