nLite addons installaiton order

vampyricus

I was wondering if there is any way to specify an installation order for addons.

I have tried to install office 2007 via an nLite created addon and have found that the installer failed due to the fact that the dot net framework addon has not installed itself first.

Can I fix it when making the nLite created disk so that the dot net addon always installs prior to any addons that will require it ?

or even make it so that this addon is the very first one to install ?

The best thing for you to do is to try it yourself in a Virtual Machine. For better results, I hope you are using the True .NET add-ons from Ryan VM's forums. That way I feel you will succeed, since there's no need to restart after install at T-13 (as it normally is for ordinary add-ons).

Report back

not sure exactly which addons you're referring to as the TRUE .net addons but I did get the .net addon that i'm using from ryans forum.

It's one that has all the .net right up to 3.5sp1

I am testing them on an actual test machine that I have setup for it.

There was no reboot reqd at T-13 however the office 2k7 install would not complete and the error msg says it is because .net is not installed.

I know that I could just complete the office 2k7 install using WPI after windows installs but would prefer to just have it run through the setup along with everything else as office 2k7 would be the ONLY program that would require the use of WPI.

The problem still being of course that I need to be sure that .net is installed prior to other programs.

Can anyone confirm for me the following:

If I integrate the addons in a specific order will they install in that order ?

or is that order irrelevant to the installation order ?

Edited by vampyricus

so can anyone confirm for me if there is a way to force an installation order within nlite ?

I would suggest you to do the following by urself because i dont have much time lately for testing many things so u can check in what order will your programs be installed:

- extract or copy your windows instalation CD files in a separate folder

- add program addons with nLite and complete the wizard untill its finished

you will then have the modified windows with program addons. after that to check in what order are the programs installed do this:

- open command prompt window (press Start, click Run type cmd press enter =])

- change the current directory and navigate to the i386 folder directory in the folder where you have the modified window instalation files (in the command window type: cd C:\Documents and Settings\(your name here)\Desktop\1st test\I386 or whatever the folder address is, this address is just example)

- after you navigate to the the path of the i386 folder in the command prompt window type "expand svcpack.in_ svcpack.inf" (without quotes)

- in the i386 folder (in the modified OS directory) will appear file named svcpack.inf, open it with notepad and check the order of the programs you added for instalation under the [setupHotfixesToRun] section

there you can check in what order will the programs you added be installed (starting from top to bottom)

after you check the svcpack.inf file if you are planing to use the current modified windows version to make an ISO file make sure you type ""del svcpack.inf"" (without quotes) in the command prompt before doing so, and if in case you want to change installing order on some of those programs you added just put them in order as you want them to be installed and do the following:

- in the command prompt type "makecab svcpack.inf" (without quotes)

- in the command prompt type ""del svcpack.inf"" (without quotes)

and this is a was of manually modifying the install order of the programs you added.

If you just want to add some programs to be installed with the Windows OS you dont even have to use nLite if you have those programs in silent instalation packages, or if you know the switches for silent instalation of those programs, but thats lil far from the topic we are currently on =)

Sorry if its kinda confusing, but i am replying to this in a hurry =)

I hope this helps

Edited by ilijadanil