Windows longest uptime?

vipejc

At the start of last year, 2010, I put out a challenge to Windows users to beat my uptime (how long your PC has been on without a reboot) of over 700 days. So far, the closest challenger was a month on Vista, with the common challenger being once a week. Unfortunately, the program tracking my uptime abended (crashed), so all I know is the tracker read 685 days the last time I checked it and went beyond 700 days before the program crashed. After the crash I shut down for maintenance to end my amazing run. :thumbup

Nice, but Windows needs to shutdown to replace files in use when security updates are installed. It's just the nature of the beast. This means you were probably vulnerable for most of your uptime. Sad but true.

Nice, but Windows needs to shutdown to replace files in use when security updates are installed. It's just the nature of the beast. This means you were probably vulnerable for most of your uptime. Sad but true.

True, but the probability of my system being exploited is so low. I use Windows Update a few times a year.

I know many organizations with systems not accessible from any public network that only install service packs, and would only install a non-SP hotfix if there was a critical bug resolved by it that they were running into. Those systems tend to be up for years at a time with no reboot.