XP hangs at loading, blue dark screen then resets after a long time

I finally decided to enter the wonderful world of XP yesterday with a

Wildcat Realizm 200 AGP card.

The setup went fine, so I started to tweak and twack the system. Making edits to the registery and such, as I normally do with any OS setup. So far I discovered No power to the card means no video, and the system will reset if their is no space left on the HD ( as with 98, which is normal ).

The OS I am using is XP SP2 from an older computer that had a simular resetting problem.

The board is a VIA VT8375

Built in LAN that is working

AMD Athlon XP 2gigs

SoundBlaster 5.1 SBL

DirectX 9.1?

So I installed the Wildcat tested it out with some 3d games, and DXDiag.

Then I went to install the SBL. This is when the problem started. It would load like normal,

then the blue screen ( after or during the welcome screen, since I disabled the welcome all together ), would appear. It is a dark blusih color, screen. At first I saw the mouse pointer. Their was also a really long message ( not the crash screen that ask you to reset ).

I did a scandisk on a nearby XP machine. It kept reapting the same thing over and over again in the CHKDSK. I forget the message but some sorta Security ID is damaged replacing with standard

one? So I did that, and the mouse pointer is not appearing anymore but I am to go into safemode now.

I load into XP, it stops at a blank dark blue like screen. Then resets after five to twenty minutes or so. I can load into Safemode, ( 32-bit only since that is what the card only supports ).

So what do I do???

I don't want to reinstall the entire OS again. It is perfect the way it is. The SB drive appears in Safemode and removing it does not slove the problem. I just want to get some work done...

What will get me away from that blue screen that does not invovle reinstalling XP again?

Well, I'm confused!

Google yields (for "VIA VT8375") a Northbridge. Could you give the exact motherboard you're working with (not the chipset)?

Also -

I can load into Safemode, ( 32-bit only since that is what the card only supports ).
is also confusing. Is this a 64-bit XP? KM266 chipset makes no mention of anything other than 32-bit. It sounds like a "standard mobo" to me...

Besides, I'm not really sure if installing SBL drivers will make a whit of difference (I have two of those) for XP as the built-in drivers work perfectly.

edit - one more thing - the Security ID thing may cause problems with the HDD in question due to the Recycle Bins and the System Restore having contents. The ID's on the PC you ran this on will be different. You can't (generally) just "pop any old XP HDD into any old XP PC" and expect it to "just work". This isn't Win9x (obviously); NT-type systems have more stringent rules.

Edited by submix8c

Edit:

Okay so I plugged my monitor into the ProSavageDDR. It worked, but the whole point of me even having such a powerfull card is to generate graphics ( XSI, Maya, GTAIVPS3, and so forth. ).

Also the ProSavageDDR has 3d, but not the 3d I need.

So then I plugged back in the card, and it worked. It went into regular mode, and even played the music. But when I decided to open any programs, including the 3dlabs docking bay program. The whole entire computer freezed, with the music in the background it sounded like Maxheadroom from 1991 ( if anybody can remember ) bbbbzzzzzz ...

I also installed direct X10LV. Did nothing.

So I reset the computer into VGA mode, which allowed me to use the card. It worked, but I was unable to access any programs, and when I tried to change the resolution, or open an internet page, the computer would lag for an incredable long time, or freeze.

So far I noticed a couple of things.

1. This started when installed the sound card, before that everything was A okay?

2. If the power connector to the card is unplugged ( 84Watt card on a 350Watt Power supply ) then I still get the blue screen or no loading of the computer at all. discovered this by accident.

3. If I attempt to go into an higher resolution, the computer freezes. This is in VGA mode and when the computer loads into 640X480.

Keep in mind, before this mess. I was wrocking 1900X resolution. With smooth 3d motion.

if all else fails I will have to find an empty usable HD and install XP SP2 again and reinstall to see if it is really the sound card. I am only assuming there is something wrong with the software in the OS.

I have not ran error installation yet

HERE IS A PICTURE OF THE BOARD, After I put in VIA VT8375 in a search engine.

http://www.recycledgoods.com/product_images/v/906/s_p_25089_1__48903_zoom.jpg

This also comes up. ProSavageDDR KN266. Originally when I had W98 installed( on another hard drive ) this was the driver type I used. I also just got the built in LAN to work. http://pdfguides.com/images/uploads/MSI-MS-6390-Mainboard.jpg

VIA VT8375 is what comes up when I use CPU-Z ( Win9x )

I see what your talking about with northbridge.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hw/481/Albatron_KM266_Pro/

All three boards seems to revolves around AMD series. Which is what is inside. Mine might look green, i believe.

I want to keep the Sound Blaster since It is supported by most of my DOS games ( so far ), and is a pretty good sound card for sound editing.

About standard motherboard?

The board has two memmory sticks inside

One is a PC2700 while the other one is PC3200, I believe.

It has a built in card, but none of my 3d games will load from it. Only a few

Is this a 64-bit XP?

I don't really think it matters. I was refering to how the graphics card "wildcat realizm" will not go into any other mode then 32-bit color display mode. I could only assume everything I use will have to be windowed? ( unlike my 98 ). Considering that NT was built for workplaces and not consumer usage.

Edited by Ludwig Von Cookie Koopa