Help please on audio - "HDA Audio Bus Driver is required"

mmr55

Hi,

I've had a look around the site and haven't found what I need (unless I'm not looking in the right area).

I'm running Windows XP Pro.

The motherboard is M2N-Sli Deluxe.

Running a raid configuration (showing degraded on startup which I can live with for the moment til I get the sound back). Takes a while but goes straight thru to Windows desktop.

A few days ago I started getting "HDA Audio Bus Driver is required" and "audio configuration has changed reinstall SoundMax"

Have tried these things:

downloaded the soundmax drivers from Asus.

ran kb888111.exe

tried installing realtek audio

cleaned registry with ccleaner

ran trojan and spyware cleaners

and still getting the HDA audio message on reboot

Control panel shows no audio devices.

Lost earlier restore points so can't go back to restore.

PC is clear of spyware/trojans.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I found an (old) post about same problem... in french, here. Basically it says to install SP2 (or later) and updates, then install the kb you refer to, then install the audio driver (from the mobo install cd).

And if it asks for "hdaudbus.sys" during installation, point to C:\Windows\system32\drivers.

Good luck.

Well, if "soundmax" needs to be reinstalled, then it probably isn't realtek audio. It's C-Media or IDT/ADI...

There are two windows updates out there for the HDA... 888111 is the one most-used with XP sp2. However, if you are running sp3 than it shouln't matter as the hotfix is included with sp3.

1) uninstall any realtek audio software listed in add/remove programs

2) uninstall any Soundmax IDT/ADI or C-Media software listed in add/remove programs

3) hit the asus website and download their audio drivers for your M2N-SLI board

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

- motherboard

- socket am2/am2+/am3

- m2n-sli deluxe

click search, select windows XP

then click audio and download Version 5.10.1.6110 which weighs in at 23.8 megabytes from the 'global' server (not global DLM)

Sorry I cannot provide a direct link to the driver.

if all else fails, a baseball bat will fix it.

EDIT: according to your profile it looks like you may be running XP 64...

So after clicking "search", select WinXP 64bit

the audio driver isVersion 5.10.2.6110 and 11.82mb for the soundmax ADI 1988

Edited by annihilatorg

Thanks for your replies.

annihilatorg - Looks like it's going to be a baseball bat as I'd already tried the drivers from the asus site.

Can you do a windows XP repair with the CD? Would it damage the raid configuration?

PS. I don't know if it's XP Pro x64, I just had to choose something, but I'm on SP2.

Poncho, I can't read French. - What's the Mobo install cd?

Cheers

Edited by mmr55

Post a screenshot of your device manager tree and there you should find a yellow question mark then select it and right click then properties then goto details then select the value in the lower (the device identifier) and do a Control +C and paste it in your next post.

allen2, No yellow question mark.

2011-02-03_1411.png

Ponch, I received a vista driver upgrade kit cd, but not for this motherboard, but I have downloaded the latest from Asus with the same results.

By the way, thanks for the time you're giving me.

Then could you go in the bios then "onboard device configuration", then check if "onboard usb audio" is enabled or not then go to PCIPnP section and set "Plug and Play OS" to Yes. If you still don't see anything new when you scan for hardware changes in the device manager you should try a bios reset ( you'll have configure it again after ).

As you didn't try reinstalling you could also try downloading a live linux CD with audio support and see if audio works with it.

I'll give that a shot now.

Sorry, I'm technically challenged except for the basics and following step by step instructions!

As you didn't try reinstalling you could also try downloading a live linux CD with audio support and see if audio works with it.

Which would I choose for WinXP? http://www.linux-sound.org/distro.html

P.S. The bat is sitting right beside my desk and getting closer to being used!

Edited by mmr55

OK - It's time for the bat!

Thanks for your help, I give up...

Seeing as it's a mirror configuration I'll have to take the PC into the local PC doctor and reformat.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Cheers

Well you want to try the Live CD first. If there is a problem with the hardware (ie the system not announcing the audio hardware to the OS) then a reinstall is going to be a waste of time! Definately check those BIOS settings and try a Live CD before doing a reload. What we can see here is that you likely have a hardware problem rather than an OS problem.

Forgot to mention I'd been into the bios:

set to plug and play - still no sound.

I changed HD Audio to disabled, restarted, then went back and set to auto and restarted - no sound.

There was no option for onboard usb audio.

Will take a look at liveCD