Fully Up To Date Windows XP x86 in 2011

fjr122

Hello,

I am new to the nLite and slipstreaming routine.

Well, kind of. I've tried several times over the last few years and for some reason never made a good cd till now.

I used WSUS to download all the updates. But then I had to spend 40minutes holding nLite's hand because half the updates I downloaded weren't for the version of windows I was using. And the other half were cab files which apparently nLite can't handle.

So basically I want to build a cd that as of today (I know it will change in a month or whenever) wont need to download any windows updates. And I usually tell it to install All the updates not just critical ones. And any udpated drivers too.

I know how to handle the drivers (driver packs).

But how do I get all the updates slipstreamed in some reasonably automatic fashion (as in not entering 300+ url into my browser manually)

Once an updated disk is built maintaining it manually doesnt seem like that big of a deal.

Or just use update to install the 20 new updates since it was built.

All the info I've found seems to be pre-SP3...or for windows x64

That webpage is awesome and the script doubly so...

But,

Just to be totally clear (and not to be annoying or dense)

Your webpage says high priority updates, so if I integrate all these (using your script which I didnt notice before btw).

Then when I get it installed windows update will tell me 0 updates? Right?

If so, thank that is awesome!

(I'm currently running auto patcher downloading the updates, hopefully that works and I wont have to download *another* gig of stuff)

We'll see...

Thanks for the help.

Just for the non-members out there who cant see the signatures, I'm gonna put the link here...

Windows XP Post SP3 High-Priority Updates (x86)

Thanks again.

Sorry for the delay in answering.

With the exception of IE8 unless you go that route, yes, it will say 0 updates.

(I'm currently running auto patcher downloading the updates, hopefully that works and I wont have to download *another* gig of stuff)

Just use my script

Nice script -X-, good work. :)

Does the script verify the downloads or does nlite? The reason I ask, the script showed KB89083O-v3.15.cab as 8+ MB, the file downloaded was 1KB in size, the second run, the script saw the file name, seemed to ignore the size, showed it as present and moved on. Btw, is the # correct for this file - 89083O - it seems the last '0' is in fact an 'O', not a zero.

I guess I should pay attention - I was using another tool and it was that tool that downloads the larger MRT *.exe, I see now what you're doing with the .cab file.

Anyway, nice script but I guess it's geared towards an always-on connection, the script moved right over WindowsXP-KB958644-x86-ENU.exe with only 79K downloaded after resuming from a disconnect.

Edited by gUiTaR_mIkE

the script moved right over WindowsXP-KB958644-x86-ENU.exe with only 79K downloaded after resuming from a disconnect.

Yeah I used the -nc, no collision, switch. If it sees a filename already there it will skip it. This was done so that next month you can run the new script in the same folder and it will only downloaded the new files and move the obsolete ones to a folder named Obsolete.

Does the script verify the downloads or does nlite?

There is no "verify" step. If it was malformed or something, nLite will refuse to add it.

Btw, is the # correct for this file - 89083O - it seems the last '0' is in fact an 'O', not a zero.

It uses an oh instead of a zero so nLite will not refuse to add it. It cant be directly integrated and I guess the author of nLite (nuhi) hard coded a reject if it sees that KB number.

Edited by -X-

This is my first post here, but I just have to say I really appreciate the work to make exactly what I was looking for.

It will save me so much time when I fix peoples computers, thank you so much.

If you're fixing people's computers, nLite is not exactly what you're looking for as it is only for personal use (it says it clearly when you install it). You can't use it for business.