Trying to use Infinst to add drivers to win-98 install

Guest wsxedcrfv

Guest wsxedcrfv

I'm trying to use the program "infinst.exe" located on my Windows 98se CD in the \tools\reskit\infinst directory. I'm trying to add several Via 4-in-1 drivers (or, I guess, their INF files) to a copy of the win-98 CD that I've placed on my hard drive.

I'm trying to add VIAGART.inf, ViaVSD.inf and ViaMach.inf from the via driver package version 4.35, which I downloaded from here:

http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/4in1435v.zip

When running infinst.exe, I browse to the specific inf file in the upper location bar, and I browse to the location of the setup.exe file in the lower bar, and then hit the "Add inf" button. But when I do, I get this error message:

"Infinst is only supported in Win98 setup.exe"

I have googled that exact phrase, but can find nothing diagnostic.

I am browsing to the setup.exe located in the root directory of the win-98 CD (or I should say, the root directory of the mirror copy of the Win-98 CD on my hard drive). And I have made sure that the entire mirror directory and all files do not have their read-only attribute set.

This error appears to indicate that infinst does not like the setup.exe that I am pointing it to.

File info for setup.exe is this:

Size: 3,824 bytes

Date: April 23, 1999

Version: 4.10.2222

What am I doing wrong here?

1. Shouldn't you simply navigate to the directory with the driver files, right-click on the INF file you want, then select Install from the context menu (I can't recall if a simple double-click does the same thing)?

2. Assuming the hardware is Plug-and-Play, shouldn't you simply point the Found New Hardware wizard to the above directory?

3. If you know the class of hardware to install, can't you use the Add New Hardware wizard, select the class of hardware (provided W9X already has this defined, that is) and point it to the above directory.

4. If the driver in question has a Setup.Exe file, that's usually a hint that it wants to do things its own way, so you run that and various files (including the INF files) should get copied to their respective locations in preparation for the Found New Hardware wizard. This type of driver generally requires you do this before physically adding/connecting the hardware.

That's all the methods I can think of, I don't know about "infinst.exe" but I don't think that's a file for a user to be invoking.

HTH

Joe.

1. Shouldn't you simply navigate to the directory with the driver files, right-click on the INF file you want, then select Install from the context menu (I can't recall if a simple double-click does the same thing)?

2. Assuming the hardware is Plug-and-Play, shouldn't you simply point the Found New Hardware wizard to the above directory?

3. If you know the class of hardware to install, can't you use the Add New Hardware wizard, select the class of hardware (provided W9X already has this defined, that is) and point it to the above directory.

4. If the driver in question has a Setup.Exe file, that's usually a hint that it wants to do things its own way, so you run that and various files (including the INF files) should get copied to their respective locations in preparation for the Found New Hardware wizard. This type of driver generally requires you do this before physically adding/connecting the hardware.

That's all the methods I can think of, I don't know about "infinst.exe" but I don't think that's a file for a user to be invoking.

HTH

Joe.

I think he is trying to slipstream the driver into an install CD, not install it on a system that is already set up.

In which case I think all one needs to do is simply place it in the \WIN98 folder... :unsure:

I know this works for system file updates, never tried it for drivers but I do remember reading about it a long time ago.

Edited by LoneCrusader

I think he is trying to slipstream the driver into an install CD, not install it on a system that is already set up.

In which case I think all one needs to do is simply place it in the \WIN98 folder... :unsure:

I know this works for system file updates, never tried it for drivers but I do remember reading about it a long time ago.

Well, I don't know much about slipstreaming, but ...

MS often added new drivers to their install CD in a separate directory structure called "\drivers", to which you could then direct the wizard when prompted. I wonder if that's sufficient?

Also, the command "start whatever.inf" should install a driver (ala. method 1) when the O/S is running, not sure about during the O/S installation process though, nor where you'd put such a command.

Joe.

Well, I don't know much about slipstreaming, but ...

MS often added new drivers to their install CD in a separate directory structure called "\drivers", to which you could then direct the wizard when prompted. I wonder if that's sufficient?

Also, the command "start whatever.inf" should install a driver (ala. method 1) when the O/S is running, not sure about during the O/S installation process though, nor where you'd put such a command.

Joe.

To "slipstream" an updated version of a system file, or virtually any file contained in the CAB files, all one has to do is simply place the newer version in the \WIN98 folder, and SETUP will use it instead of searching through the CABs for the older version. Of course this can get out of hand with a lot of updated files, but it is helpful for addressing specific issues, or issues that may crash or corrupt the installation process.

(Good examples being the >2.1GHz processor bug on 95/98FE, and the >137GB HDD issue on all 9x)

I think I read somewhere once that SETUP would detect any drivers placed in the folder with the CAB files during installation. One should not have to manually install the .inf using this method, the installer should use it. But, I have not tried it myself so I can't speak from experience.

Edited by LoneCrusader

I think I read somewhere once that SETUP would detect any drivers placed in the folder with the CAB files during installation. One should not have to manually install the .inf using this method, the installer should use it. But, I have not tried it myself so I can't speak from experience.

Oh, I didn't know that.

Placing new versions of files that it already knows about (ie. superseding those in the CAB's) I do recall reading about. I guess it's similar to the concept used with the VMM32 directory vs. the VMM32.VXD monolith.

So if you can simply place new drivers in the \WIN98 directory, then problem solved! :-)

Joe.

Guest wsxedcrfv

I'm trying to follow the instructions located here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc750055.aspx#XSLTsection124121120120

-----------------

The Windows 98 Inf Installer (Infinst) tool reads any compatible Windows 98 standard inf file and incorporates it into the setup folder. It does this by adding entries to the Custom.inf file, modifying any existing inf files for Plug and Play information and copying drivers specified in the inf file. Infinst permits the addition of new software components or hardware drivers to the Windows 98 Setup program at a setup installation point. When Windows 98 is installed, Setup automatically detects all hardware and installs the necessary drivers by checking the Windows INF directory for the correct file. However, some hardware drivers are not included in Windows 98 or need to be updated to include new files. With Infinst.exe, the new hardware infs and the associated drivers may be added to the Windows 98 setup installation point. When Windows 98 is installed from this installation point, the new drivers are installed as if they were part of the original Windows 98 Setup program.

------------------

Yes, I am trying to create a better rollup installation setup before I start installing Win-98 on several new machines (Asrock Dual VSTA). It would be nice if this method actually worked.

I've also used the msbatch program to pre-define a bunch of install-time options (including product key):

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc750055.aspx#XSLTsection123121120120

The INF's and associated Files are installed during Unattended Install. That's what the INFINST program is supposed to setup for you. The MSBATCH.INF is the "driver" for other INF's (under an Install section somewhere?). If you simply (I believe) place the INF's (better look inside them; the actual Folder for the Diver Modules may point to "elsewhere") and Modules can be placed in the folder where you are installing from (e.g. WIN98).

Look in the sample MSBATCH INF provided with the "kit" for more info on how to automagically install them (OEM-style). Mind you, they have to exist in the Exact-Path specified.

Easier to just ensure that the INF contents point directly to "current-folder" (where-modules-are) along with the INF's and place them in the WIN9x folder (e.g. on CD). Give that a shot (remember, look in the individual INF's; may require modification).

Part of my MSBATCH INF as example:

[Install]
AddReg=OEMDrivers,OPKInstall,RunOnce.BatchDelay,Run.Installed.Components,Skip.PCMCIA.Wizard,Registry.WinUpdate,PreSaveSettings,PostSaveSettings

[OEMDrivers]
; Add additional driver paths for OEM specific drivers
; Ensure each entry is separated by a semi-colon
; HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion","OtherDevicePath",,"C:\DRIVERS\VIDEO;C:\DRIVERS\AUDIO;C:\DRIVERS\MOUSE;C:\DRIVERS\1394;C:\DRIVERS\MODEM;C:\DRIVERS\IDE;C:\DRIVERS\LCD;C:\DRIVERS\MONITOR;C:\DRIVERS\NETWORK;C:\DRIVERS\SCSI;C:\DRIVERS\STICK;C:\DRIVERS\SONYPI;C:\DRIVERS\UFDD;C:\DRIVERS\UMOUSE"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion","OtherDevicePath",,"C:\Windows\setup\D\1;C:\Windows\setup\D\2;C:\Windows\setup\D\3;C:\Windows\setup\D\4;C:\Windows\setup\D\5;C:\Windows\setup\D\6;C:\Windows\setup\D\7;C:\Windows\setup\D\8"

Portion of ViaGart INF as example:

[SourceDisksNames]
222=%DiskDescription%,,0
[SourceDisksFiles]
Viagart.SYS=222,D\4\viaHyper
[Strings]
DiskDescription = "AGP GART Miniport Driver Disk"

Note that the actual module is in subfolder "viaHyper" (see the D\4 and relation to MSBATCH?).

Never bothered with CUSTOM.INF and not sure how it comes into play. (Above is from UBCD...) Again, usual method is to copy the Install (after Boot To CD And Install) to Windows\Options\Cabs and use the above to "point" to the correct location.

Edit: Sheesh, too bad UBCD info is gone; revisiting methodology a lot lately. Maybe if I have time (and a Mod approves) I could sort out just the "legal" stuff and upload example portions.

Edited by submix8c

Guest wsxedcrfv

Ok, I found the answer or solution to this problem.

When the infinst program asks for the location of the windows setup.exe program, it is NOT looking for the setup.exe that's found in the root directory of the win-98 CD.

It wants the setup.exe that's located in the "win98" directory.

Other than the file-size (one is 4kb, the other is 6kb) I have no idea why there are two files like that with the same name, or what their differences are.

But to continue this topic slightly - has nobody here ever created an "improved" win-98 rollup using this method to incorporate newer drivers into the old original CD? This looks like the best, easiest and most effective way to do it.

But to continue this topic slightly - has nobody here ever created an "improved" win-98 rollup using this method to incorporate newer drivers into the old original CD? This looks like the best, easiest and most effective way to do it.
??? Unattended Boot CD for Windows 98 Second Edition (UBCD 98SE). Topic Removed... (see my previous post)

BTW, the method works for any Win9x/ME... (except for certain MSBATCH.INF parameters)

Guest wsxedcrfv

One last question about instinf.exe.

When adding inf files for various drivers according to the instructions, I come across some inf files that cause infinst to give this message:

--------

No PnP ID was found in (some-file.inf). This inf will not install any PnP hardware. Do you want to continue?

--------

What exactly is missing from an inf file that would result in that message?

Example from VIAMACH.INF -

[VIA_SYS]
%PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_0305.DeviceDesc% = VIANO_DRV, PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_0305

PnP info (I believe...)

Can you give an example? Rename "problem example" xxx.INF to xxx.TXT then ZIP/RAR/7z it (whatever) and attach it so we can have a look-see. (err, no need to rename if it's compressed to xxx.ZiP, whatever...) Some INF's are not really for installing PnP drivers; worse some drivers are NOT PnP and have to be "force installed". What driver are you attempting to integrate?I had to "force" a non-PnP driver for several older NIC's (ISA) that weren't PnP via the MSBATCH.INF ad the associated INF in that "copied-over folder of drivers" (ref. my example).

Here are some examples (commented) from MSBATCH.INF -

[Network]
ComputerName="COMP-NAME"
Workgroup="WORKGROUP"
; Description left blank
Description=""
Display=0
PrimaryLogon=Windows
Clients=VREDIR
Protocols=MSTCP
Services=VSERVER
Security=SHARE
; added from here...
; DO NOT USE for the SMC Ultra; this is a PnP-ISA
; DO NOT USE if No NIC INSTALLED
; IgnoreDetectedNetCards=1
; netcards=*pnp80d6

; LinkSys (hard-set these since non-PnP in a PnP environment; still gets picked up)
; These cards have "jumpers"
; irq=10/io=340

; [*pnp80d6]
; InterruptNumber=10
; IOBaseAddress=340
; ...to here...

Note they are "commented" (kept there for archival purposes). Each card has it's own way of being defined via the associated INF file, hence the difference. INFINST was not meant for non-PnP installations, another reason it to do an "OEM-type" install (see previous posts). It takes "generator software" out of the equation.

One last question about instinf.exe.

When adding inf files for various drivers according to the instructions, I come across some inf files that cause infinst to give this message:

--------

No PnP ID was found in (some-file.inf). This inf will not install any PnP hardware. Do you want to continue?

--------

What exactly is missing from an inf file that would result in that message?

Nothing is missing. Some stuff is PnP and invokes the New Hardware Detected wizard, other stuff isn't and it's either on the "well-known-devices" list that MS-W scans for during installation or else you have to manually install via the Add New Hardware wizard later. The former will have a PnP ID, the later won't.

Joe.

Guest wsxedcrfv

An example of an inf file (a set of inf files) that causes infinst to give the "no PnP ID was found" can be found in the file WDM_R157.exe. That is the Realtek High Definition Audio driver R1.57. I downloaded this a couple of years ago as part of an effort to find all possible drivers for the Asrock Dual-VSTA motherboard. When unpacked, there are about 20 inf files, split into 2 groups: Group 1 has file names starting with HDA, and Group 2 has names starting with HDX.

So for example, when I give infinst the file hda.inf, I get no error message or any indication that infinst didn't like it.

But when I try hdx.inf, that's when I get the "no PnP ID was found". So out of the 20 inf files, 10 of them are ok, and the other 10 result in that message.

I realize now that that's not a good example because I can't find that file (WDM_R157.exe or WDM_R157.zip) anywhere available for download. The closest I can find is this:

ftp://61.56.86.122/pc/audio/WDM_R157.zip

but it asks for a user-name and password (I have no idea who is operating that server, but it seems to be linked to serving other realtek software).

I'll upload the two INF files somewhere and post a link later today for those that want to compare them.

I realize that I probably won't get this particular driver (hi-def audio) to run under windows 98, but it's interesting that infinst did not give me an "incompatible signature found" when I gave it some of those inf files. I think that it doesn't complain if it sees "$chicago$" in the inf file.

Which leads me to ask - if there is a $chicago$ signature in an inf file, does that mean it's 100% compatible or functional or usable for win-98?

An example of an inf file (a set of inf files) that causes infinst to give the "no PnP ID was found" can be found in the file WDM_R157.exe. That is the Realtek High Definition Audio driver R1.57. I downloaded this a couple of years ago as part of an effort to find all possible drivers for the Asrock Dual-VSTA motherboard. When unpacked, there are about 20 inf files, split into 2 groups: Group 1 has file names starting with HDA, and Group 2 has names starting with HDX.

So for example, when I give infinst the file hda.inf, I get no error message or any indication that infinst didn't like it.

But when I try hdx.inf, that's when I get the "no PnP ID was found". So out of the 20 inf files, 10 of them are ok, and the other 10 result in that message.

I realize now that that's not a good example because I can't find that file (WDM_R157.exe or WDM_R157.zip) anywhere available for download. The closest I can find is this:

ftp://61.56.86.122/pc/audio/WDM_R157.zip

but it asks for a user-name and password (I have no idea who is operating that server, but it seems to be linked to serving other realtek software).

I'll upload the two INF files somewhere and post a link later today for those that want to compare them.

I realize that I probably won't get this particular driver (hi-def audio) to run under windows 98, but it's interesting that infinst did not give me an "incompatible signature found" when I gave it some of those inf files. I think that it doesn't complain if it sees "$chicago$" in the inf file.

Which leads me to ask - if there is a $chicago$ signature in an inf file, does that mean it's 100% compatible or functional or usable for win-98?

Oooo-Tay!!!! Googling on "HDX INF" tells me these are for x64 machines. These are not suitable for Win9x. The "HDA.INF" are for 2K and up and also not suitable.

Do these really have "Chicago" as a signature? If so, they might work. Doubt it... Probably will have to use the AC97 drivers (WDM_A406.zip). BTW, "Chicago" is valid for 2K/XP. And the INF's may be interpreted different between 9x and 2K/XP. I seem to remember that some NTx.x INF's would not work on 2K/XP (and vise-versa).

Edited by submix8c