System hangs every 30 seconds

sam13

I got a new Foxconn Nettop based on Intel Atom D525 (2x 1.8 GHz) with Pineview-D chipset. It also has 2 GB RAM.

I installed Windows 7 32bit with all drivers either from the Foxconn site or from the manufacturer site, if newer. The system runs fine without any error or problem, but one.

When I tried to watch videos I notices, that there's a short hang in the video for about half a second and this repeats exactly every 30 seconds. The remaining time the video runs fine and the statistics don't mention any dropped frames.

But it gets better: Also the mouse hangs at the same time. Usually I'd check, if there's a background process stalling the system. I used Process Explorer, but it doesn't show any spike for any of the processes. Also some other tools don't show any peak in utilization. It seems more, that the whole system stalls.

I checked with a diagnostic disc based on Windows PE and still the same result, even with the harddisk removed. I also booted a Linux from disc (DSL and Knoppix) and get the same result here. BIOS is the most current one from the web site. In the BIOS I disabled the network card and the HD audio and I removed the wireless card from the system, all with no different result.

So it seems to be a problem with the hardware itself. Has anyone a clue or hint where to look? I'm running out of ideas how to troubleshoot any further.

I had a same case recently with a friend's laptop and I never determined the cause. :( Similar symptoms - short hang about every 30 seconds, no matter what (not only video, the whole system, mouse too). Also with live CD and few reinstalls of different OSs.

I suspected it was bluetooth stack and Intel (wired and/or wireless) network drivers, because that was showing in Process Monitor, but nothing helped.. I haven't seen him recently to ask him whether he had it diagnosed from the hardware side.

Sorry if I couldn't help you more.

GL

• 2 weeks later...

I think, I figured it out - well I got closer.

The Foxconn support mentioned nothing, that helped either. But they mentioned the HDMI port and that got me testing again. Previously I connected my monitor to the VGA port, where the native resolution of 1600x1200 is supported. Testing with the HDMI port with a DVI adapter showed no lag at all! This port only supports 720p and so I retested the VGA port with that resolution, but the lag remains.

That indicates, that there's something strange going on with the GMA and VGA output. Something, that doesn't affect the HDMI port. Maybe it's something Intel did intentionally with the PineTrail NM20 chipset, like the limited video resolution of 720p.