sound driver needed for 98

zuko1

As a general observation, often HP will be missing a needed driver for one model, yet have the required driver available for a different model using the same chip. It takes some guesswork to find a compatible model, though.

Dell have a combined driver package from Intel which includes the 82801AA (ICH) chip : ftp://ftp.dell.com/chipset/Z0377C01.exe

Once that is installed, there may need to be an additional driver, since the 82801AA only provides a CODEC interface, so that's an additional chip. Try the Intel driver first, if any other is then required, at least you'll see what it is.

Joe.

As a general observation, often HP will be missing a needed driver for one model, yet have the required driver available for a different model using the same chip. It takes some guesswork to find a compatible model, though.

Couldn't agree more; also, HP have a pretty good search engine. From then on, it's just a matter of comparing release dates and versions.

@zuko1

please report on your progress.

Cheers

Thankyou all for your help :) I now have sound thanks to the drivers you directed me to. Install did seem to be a bit of a mix and match though with 98 saying it found a few files that should work with it after i installed the initial driver. Thanks again for all your help windows 98 experts very much appreciated :)