using post SP3 XP as foundation

vinifera

yeh screwed topic :P

anyways my question is, since soon is year 2011

and if I just nlite XP RTM + SP3 + all hotfixes untill 2011

is it smarter then later to use that "XP 2011" as nliting foundation, so I don't have to bother with keeping SP3 and all those hotfixes on disk

or not ?

Not a good idea running nLite against the same source multiple times unless it's just a service pack. So make your source SP3 and use that as your main source. Then all you have to add are the updates which can easily be kept up to date with my UDC batch file ( see link in signature).

It's just a general rule of thumb.

Try what you want to do if you like. Report back whenever you finally use it. I presume you are going to be adding updates at least once a month until you need to reinstall.

One of the main problems is an nLite component, namely nhelper.exe, which is deleted after nLite finishes processing.

I'm kinda wondering if it would be possible, after nLiting a CD with SP3 and hotfixes, to manually add hotfixes and updates through Command Prompt with the /integrate command. Actually, the thing is whether the correct entries would be written in svcpack.ini or wherever they need to be, taking into account that the afore mentioned file is compressed into svcpack.in_

One of the main problems is an nLite component, namely nhelper.exe, which is deleted after nLite finishes processing.

I'm kinda wondering if it would be possible, after nLiting a CD with SP3 and hotfixes, to manually add hotfixes and updates through Command Prompt with the /integrate command. Actually, the thing is whether the correct entries would be written in svcpack.ini or wherever they need to be, taking into account that the afore mentioned file is compressed into svcpack.in_

Sp0iLedBrAt, I am not sure what you are asking here, but please take a look at Kurt_Aust's x64 tutorial. In his batch file a number of updates are executed silently (actuall passively). I use his process and often have rebuilt my ISO with out running nLite. I just add the updates and code to the batch file and create an ISO. Enjoy, John.

Hello again, John.

My question just builds up on vinifera's. Let's say you have created an nLited XP x64 SP2 with all the updates up to June 2010. In November you may want to add a few more without using nLite on your already existing (nLited) source.

Can you use /integrate for the new updates?

Cheers

P.S. Kurt_Aust's guide is excellent and VERY thorough; I have skimmed through it on occasions, but unfortunately my obligations don't allow me to be such an avid reader at the moment. Perhaps, if you are more familiar with the guide, you could direct me at which sections I should look.

then what if I do all manualy without using nlite

just extract from RTM ISO contents into a folder, then manualy integrate SP3 with its switches, and do the same with hotfixes, and then whole

folder just repack back to ISO and make it bootable ?

well if it works in batch like: /wait hotfixname.exe /integrate:C:\path

then its easy to just list them in batch and do it all automaticaly

dunno if anything more is needed of switches or to watch out for ?

and btw, for /integrate switch, does path has to be i386 folder or generaly just folder where windows was dumped ? (i.e. C:\iso\windows)

Edited by vinifera

it needs to be the i386 folder of the Windows source folder. After you've extracted SP3, use the Command Prompt with

C:\sp3\i386\update.exe /integrate:c:\XPCopy

if C:\sp3 is the folder with the extracted service pack, and C:\XPCopy the folder with the windows source.

This is (I believe it was mentioned earlier) the same command nLite uses to add SP3.

The principle is the same for the updates.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

lemme ask in front

can IE 8 and WMP 11 be also integrated with some CMD line ?

vinifera, I think the answer is yes, but you need to discover the silent switches. DL the installers for the ones you want and run them in a command prompt with a /? switch. They should list the available switches. If the installer is a .msi file, then open a command prompt and enter msiexec.exe, a window will open with all the available switches. Enjoy, John.

• 4 weeks later...

ok I will finaly be ready tonight to start with this "project"

but I must ask

some hotfixes still come with older number but with "v2"

so as I understand they were updated recently but still hold old numbering

so what happens when I start integrating them and I get

KB103 (old, year 2009)

KB104 (old, year 2009)

KB106-v2 (updated in year 2010)

KB109(old, year 2009)

do these hotfixes do some checks on integrated file versions or their time compiled

because with this sequence logicaly I would overwrite later an updated hotfix with older one

that has higher number (under condition that there are few hotfixes that do patch same files)

?