Ram Limitation Patch - Quick Question

risk_reversal

I recently purchased Mr Loew's ram limitation patch.

For clarity, my current 98SE install is running with 1GB of ram (2x 512Mb) system.ini info as follows:

[386Enh]

ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1

PagingDrive=C:

MinPagingFileSize= 524288

MaxPagingFileSize= 1048576

[vcache]

minfilecache=131072

maxfilecache=262144

As regards installing the ram patch is this what I should be doing.

1. Boot -->F8

2. Select Command Prompt Only

3. Navigate to the location of the patch on partition

4. At prompt type PATCHMEM.EXE

Then reboot.

Is that all that is needed. Apart of course from installing my new 2gb (2x1gb) modules thereafter.

Reason I ask is that the manual speaks of running the WININIT Command, but perhaps I am getting confused which is easily done nowadays.

My final question regards my settings as regards the swap file. Is it ok to leave MinPagingFileSize / MaxPagingFileSize as they are (above), by that I mean are they likely to cause the patch to malfunction in any way so to speak.

Many thanks for any info provided

Cheers

Edited by risk_reversal

Re. "wininit", it's not something you have to run yourself : though it would be possible indeed it's not needed, the way it works is Windows will run wininit.exe during its boot-up procedure and execute any operations defined in "wininit.ini".

Not familiar with RLoew's patch, I'll leave to him to answer your final question.

Cheers,

--

Ninho

For clarity, my current 98SE install is running with 1GB of ram (2x 512Mb) system.ini info as follows:

[386Enh]

PagingDrive=C:

[vcache]

minfilecache=131072

maxfilecache=262144

1. Boot -->F8

Then reboot.

Is that all that is needed. Apart of course from installing my new 2gb (2x1gb) modules thereafter.

Reason I ask is that the manual speaks of running the WININIT Command, but perhaps I am getting confused which is easily done nowadays.

My final question regards my settings as regards the swap file. Is it ok to leave MinPagingFileSize / MaxPagingFileSize as they are (above), by that I mean are they likely to cause the patch to malfunction in any way so to speak.

Cheers

Using the procedure described above, you could have added the RAM BEFORE running PATCHMEM if you wanted to.

The instructions for WININIT were for installing a new Windows 9x System, not Patching an existing one.

Your swap file settings should not be a problem. Only if you had more than 3GiB of accessible RAM could there be any possible issues.

With the extra RAM, your swap file will get a lot less use.

[386Enh]

PagingDrive=C:

[vcache]

minfilecache=131072

maxfilecache=262144

1. Boot -->F8

Then reboot.

Cheers

Using the procedure described above, you could have added the RAM BEFORE running PATCHMEM if you wanted to.

The instructions for WININIT were for installing a new Windows 9x System, not Patching an existing one.

Your swap file settings should not be a problem. Only if you had more than 3GiB of accessible RAM could there be any possible issues.

With the extra RAM, your swap file will get a lot less use.

Thanks v much, that is most kind. I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers