Activating with xrm-ms files

todd

I've done as much research as I seem to be able to do. My school gave me a Fujitsu laptop with Windows 7 x64 preloaded with so much junk that it takes literally 10 minutes to get to the desktop. I want to reformat with a fresh installation but using the same key/license.

The bottom of the laptop has a COA sticker that says it's "Windows 7 Pro OA" which from what I gather I cannot activate online or through the telephone.

From what I understand I have to copy the pkeyconfig.xrm-ms files from within system32 and SysWOW64, as well as tokens.dat and copy them into my new installation. Then I use "slmgr.vbs -ipk <key>" to install the key. Is this the key from the "Windows 7 Pro OA" COA sticker? Will there be any other files necessary? Anything else I should keep in mind before I wipe the drive?

Edit: Will this even work if slmgr -dli says it's a VOLUME_KMSCLIENT?

Edited by todd

If it's picking up volume_KMS, then you're on a network with a KMS server (and have a gvlk key installed on your desktop OS that was activated). However, you can "unlicense" with slmgr -upk and get your .xrm-ms license files to activate instead.