Deploying multiple .wim files from bootable USB hard drive

Hi all,

I'm trying to make my WDS-based imaging setup portable. I currently have WDS serving up three captured images, one for XP desktops, one for XP Tablet edition laptops, and one for Win7 desktops and laptops. When I boot my custom boot.wim file (in WDS) it prompts me for network credentials, then I'm presented with those three choices. After selecting one of them, I'm taken to the partitioning screen where I make my changes (if any), and the actual copying of data commences.

In trying to make this whole process portable I've done the following:

Copied directory structure of Win7 media to 250GB USB HDD.

Copied boot.wim from WDS to the \sources directory of 250GB USB HDD, overwriting the default boot.wim from the win7 install media.

Used EasyBCD to make HDD bootable, and selected the boot.wim file in the previous step as default.

Merged my three install.wim files into one big 10GB install.wim file using the following command:

imagex /export f:\sources\winxp.wim 1 f:\sources\install.wim "XP Install Image"

(I repeated this process for each .wim file I had. Now /info shows 3 images in the master install.wim file and everything looks right.)

With all of the wim files merged into one mega-wim file, I moved the final install.wim into the \sources folder of the hard drive.

Booted to the hard drive, which launched Win7 installation process.

This all worked according to plan, except for the part where the installation presents me with 3 images and asks which one to apply. I can't seem to figure out how to make this happen. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Shawn

Edit--I've applied the image using the bootable media, and it appears as though the Windows 7 image is the one that is chosen by default. If I'm barking up the wrong tree trying to use the Windows 7 installation to apply WinXP images please let me know. I'll look into other ways of applying these images in the meantime. Thanks!

Edited by stuffman

Well, yes and no. You can capture an XP image as a .wim file using the imagex command in WinPE. I know that the model for installing from the media is completely different, but it definitely can be done if delivered via WDS. Are you saying that this can't be done on bootable media such as a DVD or USB flash drive? I've never found anything that says it can't but now that I think of it, I've never found anything saying that you can either. If you could clarify I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

You cant use wim files and xp.. Its completely differet:)

Well yea capture xp to a wim is possible but read here and there its not possible using it to install via windows vista/7 setup. If thats 100% im not sure.

max: Alot to read there and catch up on:)