Server 08-R2: Backup is eating my drive

Guest wsxedcrfv

Guest wsxedcrfv

Ok, I've got Server 2008-R2 on a 250 gb drive (technically, this is Multipoint Server 2010).

I have 100 gb C drive, and 112 gb D and 112 gb E drive.

The built-in backup thing is configured to use Drive C for backup. The OS itself is also installed on C.

Backup is apparently too stupid to realize when it's choking the drive - Drive C was out of space during a Windows Update session I was performing today. Backup was taking up about 40-odd gb of Drive C. The control panel for Backup tells me that it has 35 backup copies - but it won't allow me to selectively delete any of them, nor does it seem to allow me to set a max size to allocate for backup purpose. Nor does it allow anything less than 1 backup per day (I was intending to set the backup frequency to one day a week).

I suppose I could just go and nuke the backup directory, but I'd rather just see an option that says "delete all but the last backup". Is there such a thing?

Can I force it to not exceed maybe 10 gb for backup use, or for it to not create more than 1 backup copy?

Backup won't let me use drive D or E for keeping backup copies. Perhaps that's because what I'm backing up is from D and E. (?)

Guest wsxedcrfv

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754015%28WS.10%29.aspx

wbadmin delete systemstatebackup

wbadmin enable backup also has an -addtarget argument

Wow. After 20+ years of developing a GUI-based windows OS, I have to drop to a command shell? And my choices of command arguments are so paltry compared to my simple needs? That is brutal. Any useful backup mechanism should allow me to:

- specify any backup frequency I want, including something less than 1 backup per day. This seems impossible here.

- specify a max drive space to allocate for backups. Seems that I can't do it.

- specify a max number of backup copies to make.

- let me put the backup copies anywhere I want, on any volume.

- give me full control of what-ever pathetic things it *will* all me to do in a GUI environment.

I guess something this BASIC is too much to ask a company that has 20k+ employees and 20+ years of OS development.

I'm turning this backup thing off. It's too disruptive when it runs once a day, especially on this platform (Multipoint Server) where it is the host desktop machine for several users, and it's hard drive usage can't be contained without constant minding and fiddling.

Why not just run it from a batch file that you call once a week? Instead of turning on the DAILY backup service.

Wbadmin start backup -backupTarget:\\<servername>\<sharename>\ -include:C:,D:,E: -vssFull -quiet

"If you save a backup to a remote shared folder, that backup will be overwritten if you use the same folder to back up the same computer again."