When uploading, using internet becomes impossible

Hello everyone,

I am on Windows XP SP2 and I have a regular ADSL connection with 10 Mbit download and 1 Mbit upload.

I have noticed a strange thing, whenever i am uploading something using full 1 Mbit speed, it becomes impossible to continue using internet and browse web pages, sites are loading very slow.

Seems like the bandwidth used for uploading somehow affects the download bandwidth, bit i don't get how is one connected to the other?

May be there is some wrong setting in my modem?

Has anyone encountered an issue like that? Is there a solution?

Thank you.

This is normal. All internet browsing requires two-way communication. Your browser sends packets to request web pages to load, and to acknowledge that TCP packets have been received pertaining to those pages. When you're uploading at your full bandwidth, you should have some sort of quality of service protocol running to guarantee that traffic on port 80 gets priority. If you can't set something like that up, then you should find a way to reserve at least 15 kilobytes per second of your upload speed for miscellaneous traffic. The common bandwidth-hogging peer to peer applications usually have settings to allow this.

Edited by 5eraph