Most Recent IE for WfW3.11

JorgeA

Great! :thumbup

...the High Encryption Pack. Should I go ahead and download+install that anyway?

Sure. It's a must for security. Hope it doesn't give you a hard time, too.

One more thing. Now that my WfW 3.11 machine has elements of Windows 98 (emm386.exe, himem.sys) grafted onto it, can I call the system Windows 3.98 ? :angel

:D

• 3 weeks later...

I recently added Win32s to that system, so I should be all set there.

FWIW, I once installed Win32 (many years ago) and it made everything so unstable I had to trash everything and do a fresh install. However, there is somewhere, a long, long list of what individual files you have to trash to uninstall Win32, but I didn't have that list at the time (nor do I have it now).

Just a caution (albeit too late).

Joe.

I recently added Win32s to that system, so I should be all set there.

FWIW, I once installed Win32 (many years ago) and it made everything so unstable I had to trash everything and do a fresh install. However, there is somewhere, a long, long list of what individual files you have to trash to uninstall Win32, but I didn't have that list at the time (nor do I have it now).

Just a caution (albeit too late).

Joe.

Joe,

Thanks for the warning!

I will keep this in mind going forward. Luckily I haven't run into any problems yet, but it's good to know that they could happen.

One of the MSFN supermods here, MDGX, may be the best source today for what would need to be trashed in order to uninstall Win32.

--JorgeA

German somewhere, but not an English version. all we knows is English version

http://www.oldapps.com/internet_explorer.php?old_internet_explorer=3

Name: Internet Explorer 5.01 (Windows 3.1)

File Size: 8.9 MB

Date Released: 31 October, 1999 (11 years ago)

hottext,

Thank you for the link -- interestingly, at 12.3MB the earlier IE 5.0 seems to be actually larger than IE 5.01 at 8.9 MB.

--JorgeA

German somewhere, but not an English version. all we knows is English version

http://www.oldapps.com/internet_explorer.php?old_internet_explorer=3

Name: Internet Explorer 5.01 (Windows 3.1)

File Size: 8.9 MB

Date Released: 31 October, 1999 (11 years ago)

hottext,

Thank you for the link -- interestingly, at 12.3MB the earlier IE 5.0 seems to be actually larger than IE 5.01 at 8.9 MB.

--JorgeA

That link is the one given by Mijzelf earlier in this thread. Is it the German version? Well, many moons ago, I downloaded 16-bit IE5.01 from 'tucows.com' and I think there's also one available in the 'evolt.org' archive.

BTW, one thing I remember from that time, is that IE5.01 would refuse to install, without any error indicated, if it found COMMAND.COM from DR-DOS 6.0. I had to fool it (I no longer remember exactly how) with an MS version of COMMAND.COM, even though it wasn't active.

Joe.

That link is the one given by Mijzelf earlier in this thread. Is it the German version? Well, many moons ago, I downloaded 16-bit IE5.01 from 'tucows.com' and I think there's also one available in the 'evolt.org' archive.

BTW, one thing I remember from that time, is that IE5.01 would refuse to install, without any error indicated, if it found COMMAND.COM from DR-DOS 6.0. I had to fool it (I no longer remember exactly how) with an MS version of COMMAND.COM, even though it wasn't active.

Joe.

Joe,

Ahh, for the good ol' days of DOS. We used to be able to do all sorts of neat tricks. But modern systems do have their own tricks, and charms.

Here's the link to the page where I'd found IE5 in German, back before starting this thread. (Scroll down to below the International Language Packages for Win32s.) I'm glad that I asked, because thanks to the folks on this forum I got a version of IE that's not only in English, but is also newer (5.01).

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA