Lite Touch Deployment Issue

Background: We have a Main Office with surrounding District Offices through out the state. Each District Office and Main Office each have their own Reference Server for Images. We are using Imagex to capture custom images and MDT 2010 to deploy the images.

Problem: At the Main Office, I can create custom images and deploy them with no problems at all. However, at our District Offices, our tech reps build a computer, load Win 7 Enterprise, and add any software or changes that they want, create the image using Imagex. Once they go through the steps to add that image to MDT and deploy the image, they get an error. The error that they get is in the install section of the deployment, right after it comes up and says copying files, which goes from 0 - 100 almost instantly, it starts to expand files then stops with the error:

“Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart installation.”

In the details, 3 errors were found. These were the messages:

“Setup failed applying image \\R02172MD000\DeploymentShare$\OperatingSystem\VPNLaptops\EdVPN.wim, rc=31.

ZTI Error – Non-zero return code by LTIApply, rc=31.

Litetouch deployment failed, Return Code = -2147467259 0x80004005.”

Now they use the exact same procedure that I do here at the Main Office. I did have one of the offices bring their image here and I set it up in MDT on our server and it still gives the same error.

I have tried capturing the image with Imagex /flags "Enterprise" as well.

I am at a loss as to why all of the images I create and deploy at HQ work just fine, but am not able to deploy any custom images created in the District Offices or why I can't get the image that I obtained from our District Office to work after setting it up in MDT.

Any information and help would be appreciated. Also, if you need more info, let me know!

Thanks,

Glenn

Usually you get this error when a driver injection (from a driver injected into the WIM) causes a failure - was the WIM file modified to contain any additional drivers offline that would be injected on deployment?

Usually you get this error when a driver injection (from a driver injected into the WIM) causes a failure - was the WIM file modified to contain any additional drivers offline that would be injected on deployment?

Not to my knowledge there wasn't. Is there a way I can check to see if any drivers were added to the image and if so, is there a way that I may remove them.

Not to my knowledge there wasn't. Is there a way I can check to see if any drivers were added to the image and if so, is there a way that I may remove them.

Yes you can do this. If you mount the image, you can look in mount\Windows\inf and look for oem*.inf. Some of these are built into Windows, but additional ones get appended at the end. You'd have to compare this to the source in the install.wim of the Windows 7 DVD. But let's say, for example, the DVD only goes up to OEM13.INF, then if you had INF files up to 33, those extra 20 would have been injected after the fact.

I've had to remove an injected driver from an OS before. If you knew exactly which driver it was, you could search the OEM*.inf files for the HwID of the affected device. You can use DISM to remove the INF file once you find it.

I mounted both the Install.wim file and my custom image file. I did a comparison between the two as far as the oem*.inf files and I don't see any differences. Both have the same amount of files. The thing that I don't understand is that if I create the image at the Main Office, it's works here. Tomorrow, I am going to take one of my custom images to one of our District Offices and set it up there and see if it deploys. I'm beginning to think it has to do with something on their deployment servers even though they should all be the same. I dunno, just my guess.

If you can think of anything else please let me know.

Thanks,

Glenn

I tested all day Friday and here's what I came up with. I brought 2 images from HQ to the District Office with me. One image was the Standard Image, and the other is a CAD/Design image. I imaged the test computer with the Design image with no problems. So I decided to sysprep it, and send it back to the image server as a test image and bring it back down to the test computer. Still no problems. Next I reimaged the test computer with their Standard image. The image came down just fine, but when I tried to Sysprep it, Sysprep gave me a Fatal Error message. So I decided to reimage the test computer using the Standard Image that I brougt from HQ. The image came down just fine. Upon trying to Sysprep the test computer, I got the Fatal Error with Sysprep again. So I am being led to believe that the problem I was having is with our Standard image and now into a deeper problem, why am I getting the Fatal Error with Sysprep and how to fix it. From what I have read, the error is because an image can only have sysprep w/ Generalize ran on it 3 times max. Is there any truth in this? If so, is there anyway to roll back the counter on this? Anyways, I'm gonna do some more research and see what I can come up with.

Thanks guys!

Glenn

• 1 month later...

With the generalize switch you can run sysprep 9 times.

You should make your gold, and keep it anytime you make changes, do it from the gold. So each time there will be more changes.