win 7 and XP

mbenazeraf

I have a machine loaded with Win7. Wanted XP. Removed the original drive & put in a new one. Loaded XP Pro 32 CD in the cd drive. Win XP starts loading 'till the end and gives me an error blue screen saying that windows has shut down to prevent damage to my computer. Can someone explain to me , step by step, how to install XP Pro as a second OS on an existing Win 7 drive or even on a second drive? I am not an expert but can follow good instructions. I have many software that can only run on XP. I did install the virtual XP but it won't recognize my printer or my DVD drives. May be as a dual boot, it will do that.

Thank you so much forany help.

There are many ways of doing it, of course. However, I think that Win 7 in one physical HDD and Win XP on another is probably the easiest way of doing it. I can help. But you've not provided much info to go on. So:

1) Was Win 7 working OK, when you removed its HDD?

2) Which flavour of XP did you attempt to install in the newly connected HDD? You say it's Pro. But the media you used for installation contains Gold, SP1, SP2 or SP3?

3) Are the HDDs SATA or IDE (PATA).

4) I suppose you're installing from a CD. Is your CD/DVD player/recorder SATA, IDE (PATA) or USB?

5) Which machine is it (motherboard, processor, ammount of RAM)?

I have a machine loaded with Win7. Wanted XP. Removed the original drive & put in a new one. Loaded XP Pro 32 CD in the cd drive. Win XP starts loading 'till the end and gives me an error blue screen saying that windows has shut down to prevent damage to my computer. Can someone explain to me , step by step, how to install XP Pro as a second OS on an existing Win 7 drive or even on a second drive? I am not an expert but can follow good instructions. I have many software that can only run on XP. I did install the virtual XP but it won't recognize my printer or my DVD drives. May be as a dual boot, it will do that.

Thank you so much forany help.

mbenazeraf, it would be a big help if we could know the Stop code on the BSOD. It may be a 07B, which means it is having driver problems (most likely) and cannot find your SATA or RAID HDD you are installing XP. During the very front of the XP install, your will be asked if you have any mass storage drivers to install. This is where you press F6 and, using the floppy drive, install drivers. If you do not have a floppy you might want to consider nLite (forum below here) that will integrate drivers for you. I should point out nLite is for personal use only and cannot be used for business use. Enjoy, John.

Sorry, I should have put more details.

My machine is an HP P6330F. It came with Win7 Home premium 64 bits. I upgraded to Win7 Pro to be able to load and run Win XP Pro Virtual.

Processor Intel Core i3 CPU - 6 gb RAM 1TB drive. I have 4 SATA ports on the mother board, 1 for the HDD and 2 used by the DVD's.

I have SATA Raid contrtoller.

I also purchased on CD Win XP Pro 32 bits SP3. My problem is that the Virtual XP does not recognize the printer nor the DVD's.

I thought that installing XP on a different drive as a dual boot should resolve the problem. Also, my PC does not have a floppy drive. I don't even know if they make a SATA type floppy or some sort of adaptor.

Like I said earlier, XP load fine from the CD 'till the end telling me that Windows is shutting down to prevent damage to my PC. I even disabled the SATA controller as someone suggested.

Win7 is running just fine but need XP for my legacy software.

Thanks for any help.

Windows XP does not come with SATA drivers - if the F6 option does not work because you don't have a floppy then you can try this: go into the BIOS and change the harddrive from SATA to IDE mode and try again. Though you have a SATA drive connected to a SATA port switching the BIOS to IDE mode for that port will allow the XP install routine to recognize the drive and install XP.

Another possibility is to buy a floppy drive that connects to a USB port; assuming you can go into the BIOS and there is an option for USB floppy - then you can use the F6 option to tell the XP routine to get the SATA drivers from the floppy.

Sorry, I should have put more details.

My machine is an HP P6330F. It came with Win7 Home premium 64 bits. I upgraded to Win7 Pro to be able to load and run Win XP Pro Virtual.

Processor Intel Core i3 CPU - 6 gb RAM 1TB drive. I have 4 SATA ports on the mother board, 1 for the HDD and 2 used by the DVD's.

I have SATA Raid contrtoller.

I also purchased on CD Win XP Pro 32 bits SP3. My problem is that the Virtual XP does not recognize the printer nor the DVD's.

I thought that installing XP on a different drive as a dual boot should resolve the problem. Also, my PC does not have a floppy drive. I don't even know if they make a SATA type floppy or some sort of adaptor.

Like I said earlier, XP load fine from the CD 'till the end telling me that Windows is shutting down to prevent damage to my PC. I even disabled the SATA controller as someone suggested.

Win7 is running just fine but need XP for my legacy software.

Thanks for any help.

mbenazeraf, as I pointed out before, nLite will include the needed driver for you. The Unattended DVD Guide (link at bottom of page) will also tell you how to do this manually. Another option is VMware Player. It is free and I suspect it will recognize your printer and DVD. Enjoy, John.