Sysprep and Unattend.xml

Hi.

I need to ask a question about Sysprep and the use of unattend.xml. I would like to build a universal syspreped image of Windows 7 Ultimate and then use a different Unattend.xml to deploy it to different machines with different requirments. I've been reading this guide over at Brian Lee Jackson's Blog and have a few questions I can't seem to find the answer to.

It says to create an Unattend.xml file and place it in the Sysprep folder and then refer to it explicitly when resealing using the following command :

sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:unattend.xml

The unattend contains a reference to the CopyProfile attribute that will copy the logged in profile to the Default profile. This is what I need. However, What I don't understand is when the Unnatend file is executed. If I create a new unnatend file and put it on let's say a USB drive. Will setup pick it up instead of the one in the Sysprep folder? If it does will I have to set the copyprofile attribute again in the new Unattend file or will it pick up that setting from the Unnatend in the Sysprep folder? I've searched and found some information but I'll be honest, It confused me even more. Any help would appreciated.

Thanks.

The Sysprep pick up the file you put in the command /unattended:%path% and it must contain the copyprofile (True) in the pass specialized. if you want to pick up other file, you must change the path of the file.

Thank you Tripredacus, That helped me alot. My search-fu must be weak, I never saw that post when searching.

Thanks again.

Edit:

Just to be clear. Where would I put the new Unattend.xml? Would it be picked up if it were placed on the root of a USB drive?

Edited by Rez.

I honestly can't say for sure, as I've never tried it. However I did accidently leave a USB key in a machine that had an unattend file on it and Win 7 sysprep did use it. It was a head scratcher to start with. So it MAY be possible but I do not know if that was a fluke or if it would work 100% of the time. Basically, if you have the time, try it out and see what happens.

Thanks. That's Encouraging. I think I will test this out in the next few days. I'll report back here with my findings incase anyone else is interested.

Thanks again.

I honestly can't say for sure, as I've never tried it. However I did accidently leave a USB key in a machine that had an unattend file on it and Win 7 sysprep did use it. It was a head scratcher to start with. So it MAY be possible but I do not know if that was a fluke or if it would work 100% of the time. Basically, if you have the time, try it out and see what happens.

Yes since vista if you have Autounattend.xml on floppy or usb thumbdrive windows will use it.

Yes since vista if you have Autounattend.xml on floppy or usb thumbdrive windows will use it.

I made a mistake of having an autounattend.xml and unattend.xml (with oobe passes) on the same USB key once, and kept wondering why the install was booting to the desktop and creating users, etc.