Windows Firewall

frogman

My partner has Windows 7 on her laptop, and when we go to the security firewall section it shows Mcfee & also Windows Firewall, the latter being off and the Mcfee is on, but will expire soon, but for some reason the button would not radiate to allow to turn on the Windows Firewall.

Can anyone help please, and should we be able to turn on the Windows Firewall, is this enough?

Most likely you will not be able to turn windows firewall on at all while mcafee is installed and running :(

But you can try this:

open mcafee and disable its firewall, then try starting windows firewall. Mcafee's hook should be released doing it this way.

Most likely you will not be able to turn windows firewall on at all while mcafee is installed and running :(

But you can try this:

open mcafee and disable its firewall, then try starting windows firewall. Mcafee's hook should be released doing it this way.

Thanks for that.

I though that because we had no internet connection for this laptop that may have been the reason why it was impossible to disable both mcafee and Windows Firewall.

At the time it looked like both firewalls could not be tampered with, however I will tell her to remove mcafee and un-install it.

Edited by frogman

But you can try this:

You were correct, that worked for her, many thanks.

One last question, will the Windows Firewall be enough security for windows 7?

Edited by frogman

Honestly, Windows Firewall + Microsoft Security Essentials has been enough for almost everyone I've installed it for - the only time it wasn't, we were infecting the machine on purpose (and even then it wasn't easy to do! :)).

Honestly, Windows Firewall + Microsoft Security Essentials has been enough for almost everyone I've installed it for - the only time it wasn't, we were infecting the machine on purpose (and even then it wasn't easy to do! :)).

Will she have the Microsoft Security Essentials already, or will she need to download it?

Is this the link for it and is it a genuine Microsoft link do you know?

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

• 4 months later...

yeah windows firewall is best but you need to check that your partner har genuine copy of windows 7 only then you can use microsoft security essential otherwise you have to use other antivirus...

yeah windows firewall is best but you need to check that your partner har genuine copy of windows 7 only then you can use microsoft security essential otherwise you have to use other antivirus...

I believe it came installed with her laptop so it must be a genuine copy of windows 7.

If I remember she managed to install the essentials with no problems.

So, if I go for a new computer, and it has Windows 7, I am still not sure whether to go for 32bit or 64bit, that's the bit that worries me. :wacko:

I believe it came installed with her laptop so it must be a genuine copy of windows 7.

If I remember she managed to install the essentials with no problems.

So, if I go for a new computer, and it has Windows 7, I am still not sure whether to go for 32bit or 64bit, that's the bit that worries me. :wacko:

Hi...you can choose 32 bit or 64 bit depending on your RAM breifly i can say the benefits of 64 bit are most apparent when you have a large amount of random access memory (RAM) installed on your computer, typically 4 GB of RAM or more. In such cases, because a 64-bit operating system can handle large amounts of memory more efficiently than a 32-bit operating system can, a 64-bit system can be more responsive when running several programs at the same time and switching between them frequently.