Upgrade to Windows 7 Professional Edition

west117wolf

There are several games that I really like to play but they are not compatible with Windows 7 Home which came with my computer purchased from Dell. A Dell technician informed me that there is an XP mode in the Professional Edition that will allow me the ability to play the games. I just want some assurance that they will work if I purchase the upgrade to the Windows 7 Professional Edition. Can anyone tell me the answer?? For example some games require XP Service Pack #2.

West

The XP compatibility mode isn't so much meant for games as for legacy apps. Games (the 3D intensive ones) won't run so great if at all because you don't get 3D acceleration in a VM. So just like running a very ancient video card which modern games really don't care for.

Your best bet is looking for a compatibility update for your game first. That and running the game using the XP "compatibility" mode (right click on the exe, pick the compatibility tab, tick the checkbox, then select the OS you want).

For more help, you could try listing the games you can't get running.

The last resort option is dual booting but that's a kind of a pain.

Agreed - knowing more about what games we're talking about here, and whether they're Win32 or DOS, would help as well. If they're DOS games, you could simply run DOSBox to emulate them without issue on Win7.

Agreed - knowing more about what games we're talking about here, and whether they're Win32 or DOS, would help as well. If they're DOS games, you could simply run DOSBox to emulate them without issue on Win7.

Thanks "coffee fiend" and "supervisor". The game B17- The Mighty Eighth is not compatible. The game requires XP Service Pack 2 which I identified in the compatibility mode. The game installs only to 85% and then it locks the computer and I have to run System Restore because it will not allow my computer to shut down and when I turn off by holding the on\off switch windows will not open normally and I have to go into safe mode to run system restore. The other game is Brother in Arms Earned in Blood. The problem here is the protection system does not respond and again the game locks windows 7 with the above result.

My new computer will not run windows XP...it is designed specifically for Windows 7. So I can't just switch back to XP. Appreciate the feedback. Thanks again

West

We discussed the second game for you already here. Please re-read that post - the StarForce protection driver that ships with the game is incompatible with Windows 7, and XP-Mode isn't going to help you with running that game (well) either, as it's a DirectX game. DX games on emulated video will run poorly, and this would be no exception (the same holds true for the first game as well). It would be better to dual-boot with XP to run this, otherwise you're going to find running either in a VM will be very, very painful.

If you want to further discuss the B-17 game, it would probably be best to continue the thread you started here. I'm not sure the above recommendation of dual-booting will change for this game either (it's a DX7 game, and was written for Win9x - the fact it works in XP is a miracle of backwards compat, and it isn't going to install or run properly on Win7), but it's worth discussing. Let's keep that thread moving.