Unattended install with custom applications

I've been looking into "Unattended Windows Setup Reference for Windows 7", but haven't figured it out how to install my custom applications during Windows installation. I want to copy Office 2010 installation (OFFICE14 folder) onto Windows 7 installation DVD and if someone installs Windows from this DVD then Office 2010 would be installed also in background. I know I have to use silent install switch, but how to exactly implement it in the unattended XML file?

Help?

OK, but how do I define the installation path? My Office install files are on the same DVD as the Windows install files. I cannot always use drive "D:\" because when I use the media on a computer with 2 HDD-s it won't work. So how to define an optical drive so it will work in any case?

OK, but how do I define the installation path? My Office install files are on the same DVD as the Windows install files. I cannot always use drive "D:\" because when I use the media on a computer with 2 HDD-s it won't work. So how to define an optical drive so it will work in any case?

I think it depends what version Office 2010 you have! Professional Edition or Student Edition, Standard Edition!

If you have Professionnal Edition it's OK, but for Standard Edition it's possible in an other way with RunOnceex method.

I've been looking into "Unattended Windows Setup Reference for Windows 7", but haven't figured it out how to install my custom applications during Windows installation. I want to copy Office 2010 installation (OFFICE14 folder) onto Windows 7 installation DVD and if someone installs Windows from this DVD then Office 2010 would be installed also in background. I know I have to use silent install switch, but how to exactly implement it in the unattended XML file?

Help?

You'll want to look into using Windows Image Deployment. You can create a WIM file by installing Windows (don't activate it) and all products you want to include (for best results, install them on the main system drive). Set everything up just how you want it and then recapture your Windows installation to a new WIM file. For more detailed instructions see this page:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2007.10.desktopfiles.aspx

Edited by bherila

Well, I don't want to use WIM imaging. I just want to copy Office 2010 folder onto unmodified Windows 7 installation disc and add also autounattend.xml to the DVD root. The question is, how should I define the Office 2010 installation command in autounattend.xml so it would work in any scenario?

Edited by SKG

OK, I guess I'll just copy the Office install files to drive C and place shortcut onto desktop. But is there any way how to make a shortcut onto Windows desktop with autounattend.xml file?

Hello :rolleyes:

You can use a batch file to install Office.

Set inside SetupComplete.cmd

My example for Office Standard 2007:

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /VE /D "Office Standard 2007" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\Office\SETUP.EXE /config %systemdrive%\Install\Office\STANDARDR.WW\CONFIG.XML" /f

Silent install. Set your values inside "CONFIG.XML" for an unattended install.

I managed to achieve my goal. I decided that I'll let user to manually install Office via desktop shortcut. I created this directory structure into SOURCES folder:

$OEM$\$1\Users\Public\Desktop\Install Office 2010.lnk (shortcut to C:\Office 2010\setup.exe)

$OEM$\$1\Office 2010 (Office 2010 installation files)

Burned ISO to a new DVD and it works! :thumbup

But thanks anyway for everyone!

Edited by SKG

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Or you can use old trick (this is from old xp unattended guide here)

put installmedia.txt on your installation medium

FOR %%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\installmedia.txt SET intallmedia=%%i:

then you get root of media in %intallmedia% in batch script run anytime after installation

So this way you can avoid unnecessary coping intallation files to system drive

Edited by evlo