WPA client software...

Glenn9999

I won't be attempting it until tomorrow..

I'm 99% near the conclusion that the ASUS update cannot install the firmware onto the broadcom chip in this card (at least under my current laptop configuration) and apparently installation aborts before the card is flashed. I'm going to uninstall the native L2TP client to free up TCP/IP connections - my ASUS utility complains that the card adapter is not binding to TCP/IP protocol (it's there and I can connect to the internet but not 'binding' and I can't save configurations). After that, I will try uninstalling and reinstalling the ASUS WPA2 support one last time.

According to what I've read, the WL-100G card supports WPA but the ASUS utility interface doesn't which is why I need to try the WSC client if WPA2 is the dead end that it appears to be.

I won't be attempting it until tomorrow..

I'm 99% near the conclusion that the ASUS update cannot install the firmware onto the broadcom chip in this card (at least under my current laptop configuration) and apparently installation aborts before the card is flashed. I'm going to uninstall the native L2TP client to free up TCP/IP connections - my ASUS utility complains that the card adapter is not binding to TCP/IP protocol (it's there and I can connect to the internet but not 'binding' and I can't save configurations). After that, I will try uninstalling and reinstalling the ASUS WPA2 support one last time.

According to what I've read, the WL-100G card supports WPA but the ASUS utility interface doesn't which is why I need to try the WSC client if WPA2 is the dead end that it appears to be.

It does NOT support WPA2. My router is set to WPA and WPA2, I set it to WPA2 only and it didn't detect my network. I wonder if a patch or plug-in can be created to add WPA2 support. One can always run it in both modes and use a secure firewall with bullet proof settings.

I know. WSC is WPA only. WSC is my backup plan for WPA, in case the ASUS WPA2 update can't install properly (for the umpteenth time).

The ASUS WPA2 install folder includes winflash.exe but it doesn't execute during the installation. There is also an app called 'Resume'. The actual purpose for this app is unknown because, when I click on it, it stalls at a NT-dependent function call. Weird that this is present  in a Win98 install. I'm under the impression that this 'Resume' app is responsible for flashing the Broadcom chip with the Broadcom driver bits needed for WPA2. I do not know if the Kexstubs package would help and there are possibly/probably other NT dependencies behind the initial one. It's 'SETUPAPI.DLL:CM_Locate_DevNodeA'...

My router is a Belkin N600. A Netgear card I have with WPA can only connect to the internet if the router is set for WPA encryption only, not WPA+WPA2. Problem with this card is that with a Teamviewer remote desktop feature running, the connection drops every time (even on an open connection with encryption disabled) though I can transfer files without problems. That's where the ASUS WL-100G comes into play...

Teamviewer remote desktop is rock-solid using the ASUS WL-100G card on an open connection but open connections through the Belkin router are not permitted to make LAN connections to other devices, which is the most secure way to use Teamviewer - behind the router's firewall. This is where WPA (or WPA2) comes in - to run Teamviewer securely within the LAN to access cyberspace from the host computer with secure modern browsers (never mind using the modern MS Office apps on the host computer, etc.). Obviously, I don't know how stable a WPA or WPA2 connection will be while using Teamviewer with this card, yet...

My current circumstances force me to connect to Teamviewer on the host computer over the internet using the Belkin router's unencrypted guest account (password required) using a PPTP vpn tunnel. Teamviewer uses it's own encryption simultaneously, so it's a fairly secure approach. I don't seem to be able to connect to L2TP vpn servers from home, likely unable to accomplish NAT transversal, so PPTP is the limit in this regard.

Okay, thanks. Does me little good. haha

Are you aware if Kexstubs provides a solution?

Wine stubs: http://code.metager.de/source/xref/wine/dlls/setupapi/stubs.c

Pretty sure this is where the installation fails for Win98SE.

Other user tried the Funk Odyssey client to no avail...

The McAfee WSC client failed for me when I tried it before...

If Kexstubs doesn't provide a setupapi.dll stub, I will try the WSCv4 client...

Edited by from50sand60s

I found in the discussion of the newer _2015 KernelEx release,

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/173233-kernelex-4520159-updates-apihook/page-5

That this .dll can function under Win98SE. The member has your SP3 installed so he probably has other dependencies covered. I can't go with SP3 because Teamviewer employs IE6 in some manner and I only have 32mb memory on this laptop (Omnibook 800CT). So would the strategy be to place setupapi.dll in the C:\Windows\System directory and install the newer _2015.8 KernelEx release?

Installed newer, WinMe setupapi.dll from the MDgX website...

Installed the latest bcmwl5.dll made available. Thanks again...

Ran WSCv4. Thanks again...

The WL-100G card failed. No WPA support, which I suspected because the card isn't flashed with drivers during the ASUS install.

Apparently those with Windows Me experience the same problems getting WPA support on this card. Not surprising since the .inf file for installing the .sys file is the same one for this card.

Apparently need a Win2000 or Windows XP laptop to plug this card into and install just so the card would get flashed with the Win 2000 or XP driver bits - the cards you have are setup for Win XP WPA and WPA2 and still could connect using the WSCv4 client under Win98SE (albeit your machine probably has additional drivers/files/settings that may have made your success possible - dunno). That is actually quite a breakthrough in the WPA knowledge base arena. Congrats!

Just to round out the parameters, are your cards connecting using AES and/or TKIP encryption?

Edited by from50sand60s

I use AES encryption, and besides the 3 files and WSC Guard, I have nothing special going on.

BCMWL5.SYS 3.94.41.2

BCMWL5.INF

BCM43XX.CAT

Do you think you can borrow a laptop from a friend/family just to flash the card? What kind of laptop do you have and do you have a mini-pci slot in it? I also might be able to get Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG working.

I had a little trouble installing the above links utility for ClientMgr3.   I thought maybe the latest utility would include wpa. 

I found Buffalo's version of the driver (they renamed the sys file to CBG54.sys with references to it in the inf.)

https://web.archive.org/web/20071009180904/http://www.buffalotech.com/support/downloads/wireless-g-125-high-speed-notebook-adapter/

I used KernelEx to install in WinME mode.

My laptop is a HP Omnibook 800CT with P1 166MHz processor and 32mb RAM. (2)Type II Cardbus slots, no mini-PCI. No USB.

If I'm lucky, someone I know may have a XP laptop gathering dust in their garage or I might find one at a garage sale.

I had a little trouble installing the above links utility for ClientMgr3.   I thought maybe the latest utility would include wpa. 

I found Buffalo's version of the driver (they renamed the sys file to CBG54.sys with references to it in the inf.)

https://web.archive.org/web/20071009180904/http://www.buffalotech.com/support/downloads/wireless-g-125-high-speed-notebook-adapter/

I used KernelEx to install in WinME mode.

I stand corrected on BCMWL5.SYS 3.9x versions. I now have BCMWL5.SYS 3.104.64.52. Thank you very much :thumbup:yes: