How to add all drivers to WIM file

Hello and greetings from Portugal,

I need some help with this one.

What I'm intended to do is:

- Create an image using MDT 2010

- Publish the image on WDS Server

- Use that image in different machine models

So, what I've done was, insert all drivers I needed on MDT, then generated the image on one mahcine and then publish it on WDS and applied it on another machine.

The problem here is that the drivers (video in this case) are not installed. Like if they aren't on the WIM file on the first place.

Can someone please help me on what I'm doing wrong?

Best Regards,

Diogo Sousa

Not every driver can be integrated appearently..why i dont know..

Dism /mount-wim /wimfile:install.wim /index:1-5 /mountdir:mount

Dism /image:mount /add-driver /Driver:*.inf or mainfolder containing subfolders with drivers /recurse

dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:mount /commit

Full command to integrate drivers.

Is every other driver integrated ?

Hi Grabben and thanks for the quick reply!

My doubt here is if there is anyway to do this automatically.

Like, on the task sequence or in some option to integrate all drivers on the machine.

Best Regards,

Soultaker

Hi Grabben and thanks for the quick reply!

My doubt here is if there is anyway to do this automatically.

Like, on the task sequence or in some option to integrate all drivers on the machine.

Best Regards,

Soultaker

Integrate drivers to the machine ? well not through setup or so beacuse setup installs drivers for the hardware it finds and nothing more.

But to integrate loads of drivers to the image is more then possible.

If you import the video driver into the MDT driver repository MDT will do the driver injection automatically during deployment, you don't need to store in the image at all...

Please note that many video drivers are larger than the 32 MB scratchspace buffer WinPE is using when unpacking the driver. I recommend you to set it to 128 MB for your boot images (done in the deployment share properties.

MDT has many different methods that you can inject drivers with, based on pnpid detection, based on models etc... You can read more here:

MDT 2010 Lite Touch Driver Management

http://www.deployvista.com/Home/tabid/36/EntryID/132/language/sv-SE/Default.aspx

Edited by arwidmark

Ok, I believe I'm not explaining myself the right way.

What I would like was to create an image on one machine.

Then, I deploy the image on another machine, with a different video card.

I would like to automatically install the driver from that new machine.

Hope this would help myself to explain better!

Best Regards,

Soultaker

Ok, I believe I'm not explaining myself the right way.

What I would like was to create an image on one machine.

Then, I deploy the image on another machine, with a different video card.

I would like to automatically install the driver from that new machine.

Hope this would help myself to explain better!

Best Regards,

Soultaker

You did :P

Im not sure if thats possible beacuse if you capture a image from one computer its specific for that computer..

Your better off integrating drivers to the wim instead i think.

Ok, so the way to do it is to generate the image and than integrate drivers, right?

Yea its better to mount the image edition you want (home basic, professional etc).

Use the dism commands i gave u in my first post..

Ok, so the way to do it is to generate the image and than integrate drivers, right?

Yea its better to mount the image edition you want (home basic, professional etc).

Correct me if I am wrong but he has to expand (at least for nvidia) the drivers before using "your" dism commands.

Correct me if I am wrong but he has to expand (at least for nvidia) the drivers before using "your" dism commands.

Im not sure, but that could be the problem of why dism cant integrate drivers so yea do that..

ATI drivers are easy, because once you extract the package the drivers are in flat-format in a WDM subfolder - add this folder to the workbench, and things work (you don't get the Control Panel, but I argue that's a good thing). Nvidia drivers are harder because they require not only the .INF files, but that the PhysX MSI file is installed (and potentially the NvCplSetupEng.exe file run as well). I find it best to use WMI in WinPE to determine the video card installed (Win32_VideoController class, PnPDeviceID and VideoProcessor properties should be sufficient to tell you what's in the box), and script installation of the Nvidia drivers after Windows is installed as part of the task sequence. It's the only way I've gotten it to work 100%.