Anyone know how to open aworkbook (.wbk) file?

skylark53

Had been editing a doc with Word 2003 for about 3 hours when we had a power cut & computer went down.

I went through the recovery procedure recommended at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827099, but none of these steps succeeded. However, in the recycling bin I found a file with the right time, called ~WRA4072.wbk - evidently a ‘workbook’ file. This file cannot be opened using the procedure in Method 2: Search for Word backup files – the error is “Word experienced an error trying to open this file”. I was also unable to open it using the “Recover text from any file” option.

I eventually managed to open the .wbk file using Wordpad. Along with a lot of unprintable characters it does contain some text - but it is the original text from the beginning of the edit. The changes you've made must somehow be stored in the 'gobbledegook'.

So my question is, is there any way of recovering the edited text from this .wbk file? I really, really don’t want to have to input all this work again. Thanks! Sky