Root certificate updates for win-98

Guest wsxedcrfv

Guest wsxedcrfv

Is this the most current root certificate update that will run / install on win-98?

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/rootsupd.exe

Unless I'm mistaken, those files are dated to Aug 24, 2009. This includes the rootsupd.inf file, which is specifically a "chicago" version. Am I seeing this right - Microsoft has updated something to do with win-98, as recently as August 2009?

This is the same file that I get from this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=19c4ae49-1127-4537-9e91-35f81d20bce6

After installing the validation plugin and continuing, Microsoft sends me the file using this link:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/3/0/83046C87-62AB-4732-B8FB-ED7404BB21C9/rootsupd.exe

How can I find out the date of my current certificates?

Edited by wsxedcrfv

Guest wsxedcrfv

I posted this in the "Member Projects" forum by mistake. Would I have gotten an answer if I posted this in the main win-98 forum? Or did I ask a really tough question. ?

• 2 weeks later...

That's a good question. I was wondering about that myself recently when I was reviewing MDGx's latest updates. Surprisingly it does appear that Microsoft updated their root certificates for Win98 on 24 Aug 2009. Apparently they also updated them again on Nov 2009 (for WinXP/Vista/7 I presume).

Thanks for the referenced link, dencorso. I don't know how you keep track of all the threads you reference!

That thread helped explain things a bit more but I find this topic particularly confusing. Apparently Microsoft must've just updated their rootsupd.exe file recently (within the past few days), by the way. The new rootsupd.exe has a file size of 336,280 bytes vs. 324,008 bytes for the file I just DL'ed a few days ago. Examining its contents shows that updroots.sst increased in size from 272,887 bytes to 294,107 bytes even though its date/timestamp didn't change whatsoever.

Edited by Prozactive

I don't know how you keep track of all the threads you reference!

Good bookmarks, better searchword choices and even better memory. :)

...But I'm just an amateur at it: jaclaz can beat me in this game hands down anytime! :D

The latest certificates are always obtainable from this direct download link.

And while I don't have the *slightest* idea of how to determine the date of the certificates you already have in your system, I do know how to determine the date of rootsupd.exe: just go to properties and check the date of its digital signature! And the one you can download form the above link (which has 336,280 bytes) is from May 03, 2010. :yes:

Yeah, you and jaclaz are pretty amazing. :) I figured some of it had to be from memory in addition to any other aids/tools/bookmarks you might use.

Thanks. I did (and always do) check the digital signature of the rootsupd.exe file. Like I said, Microsoft must've just updated the file within the past few days since MDGx updated his webpage. I installed the new updated file then performed the registry file compare check (before and after the update) as you suggested in your earlier referenced thread. The results of the registry file compare check showed that numerous changes were made by the latest rootsupd.exe vs. the former version, mostly in this registry path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\Root\Certificates\

I think I'll post the results of the file compare check in that other thread just for reference. Thanks for all of your help!

Edited by Prozactive