Uninstall problem

west117wolf

I installed a game called "B-17 the mighty eighth". It did not install correctly so I uninstalled the program, but it remains in the list of installed programs in the control panel. The message tells me that it was uninstalled. When I then try to reinstall the program, the program does not recognize that it has been uninstalled and goes through the uninstall program again, and it says that it was uninstalled, but again when I try to reinstall it goes back into the uninstall process. Can anyone help me with this problem. Thanks.

I just tried to uninstall again and got too messages:

1. "HSBR-MP.EXE THE FILE EXTENSION IS TOO LONG

2.README THE FILE EXTENSION IS TOO LONG.

I answer OK to both and then i get the message that uninstall finished, but the B17 mighty eighth remains in installed programs.

Edited by west117wolf

You 'might' be able to manage removing the registry settings. They are possibly located in these keys.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

or

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa372105%28VS.85%29.aspx

Each Application has a different GUID (super long random string), so you will have to drill down into each sub-key until you find the correct one. Good luck.

You 'might' be able to manage removing the registry settings. They are possibly located in these keys.

or running the command in the uninstallstring portion of the key, usually:

"msiexec /X{That-longass-GUID-Jinje-talked-about}"

Went into the registry and found the string of letter and numbers under uninstall, but did not see the program "B17- the mighty eighth". As I said earlier, the game disk will not allow me to reinstall; it reads that the game is still present when it has been deleted. Any other ideas. This is tough stuff.

Find the installation directory where files were copied by the original install.

If the file HSBR-MP.EXE or the README weren't deleted, it is likely that they are part of the problem.

Windows search for "HSBR" should be enough.

Once you find these files, try searching the registry for their name.

Also, there quite a lot of "registry fixing" programs that can remove an app from the list of installed apps, Regseeker comes to mind:

http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I downloaded reg seeker...but was afraid to use it as I do not have any idea what I am doing. Under the uninstall string there is no reference to "B-17 The Mighty Eighth". I may just have to live with this problem, but it is annoying and besides I cannot reinstall the game because uninstall reads that it is still installed although it is completlely gone.