Pagefile question(s)

Octopuss

This topic was discussed million times before, I know.

I know that turning the pagefile off (which doesn't even really turn it off anyway) is a bad idea, although "noone" has experienced any bad things. Yeah there are some programs that require it.

My question is what is the minimum size it should be set to.

Has anything about this changed in Windows 7, say from Vista? I would guess it changed some from XP, this being much newer architecture. Not sure how/if are things different between x32 and x64...

Opinions/technical details welcome.

I'm using a 16MB pagefile because I used to get an error on reboot when I went naked (no pagefile). I set the minimum and maximum to 16MB and I haven't heard one peep since.

I'm using a 16MB pagefile because I used to get an error on reboot when I went naked (no pagefile). I set the minimum and maximum to 16MB and I haven't heard one peep since.

With how much ram installed ?

With how much ram installed ?

Running this on two 2 x86 lappy's with 1Gb ram, and 1 x64 desktop w 8Gb.

8GB machine is using a 4.5 GB qsoft ramdrive (meaning only 3.5GB system usable). The x64 is kinda the hog, it routinely uses 1.5Gb leaving me with just over 2GB available, but it can run 2-4 VM's no problem.

ramq.png

The lappy's are quite a few years old and they handle Windows 7 better then Vista. In fact, if it weren't for the annoying pagefile pop-up, I wouldn't even use one on them. They usually have 300mb-400mb available when in use(600mb in my pic)

69045293.png

Basically Windows will try to eat any RAM it can find.

Anymore opinions? :)

Btw what's the "best" ramdrive software around? I know there is some basic way of doing it by Microsoft, and a few other developers base their own solutions on that, but surely there must be other ways around?

Anymore opinions? :)

Btw what's the "best" ramdrive software around? I know there is some basic way of doing it by Microsoft, and a few other developers base their own solutions on that, but surely there must be other ways around?

Ways for what?

I mean if you have "inaccessible" memory it makes sense to use that part as a ramdisk, but otherwise what would be the use of it?

I.e. in what scenario, for what use are you going to use such a ramdisk, also, how much memory do you have?

jaclaz

Ways of creating a ramdrive I meant. It just came to my mind to ask about a good ramdrive software :)

And I would probably put Opera cache and some temp on it, but I do not really need it - I just always wanted to experiment with it :)

Edited by TheWalrus