Dependencies

Hello,

if have a application ABC which needs DirectX. When I set "ABC depends at DirectX" then ABC can only be selected if DirectX was selected first.

Thats ok for me, but not for users, which don't know that they have to select DirectX first.

I think the better way is to select DirectX automaticly if I choose to install ABC.

Can I configure WPI in that way? If not, I think this could be a Feature-request.

Regards

Daniel

No, not in a corp, but all my Family-Members are having notebooks or PCs. So I give them a CD with WPIW and they can automaticly install the Programs they need.

Regards

Daniel

Hmmm, that didn't work, I have the same behavior as before.

I have a Programm, called "freepdfXP". This needs ghostscript.

so, in the config-file, there is a Entry deps[pn]=['ghostscript']; at the FreepdfXP-Entry.

Know, I have to select ghostscript before I can select FreepdfXP, otherwise, freepdfXP is greyed out.

But in my opinion it makes more sense: When selecting FreepdfXP, Ghostscript is also selected.

Regards

Daniel

Edited by spanni

This is an "old feature" that was added before my time, so before any major updating.

This was first used in a specific way: Say I have Firefox and 5 extensions. Obviously you wouldn't want to be able to check an extension without first picking Firefox. In this case it works perfectly.

Now, as software has progressed with Java and/or DotNet, and in your case, it may be time for a new option: Required or Requires.

For example: OpenOffice requires Java to be installed. In the current operation, Java would be disabled until OpenOffice is checked. What if I just want to install Java? Can't.

With Required(s), Java would still be enabled. So it could be installed without OpenOffice. When click OpenOffice, Java will be checked also.

A new combo box would have to be added to the Dependecies tab, like the current two there now.

Sound like I am on the right track?